Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Question My Letter to FNB - "No Guns" Signs

I thought I would try and find out what causes people to put up these "No Guns" signs - I have sent a letter to FNB . . .

Good Day XYZ ,

I realise this is not exactly a banking issue, but since you are my personal banker, I thought you could perhaps help me by directing this email of mine to the correct people. Please note that this is not a frivolous query that I pose in this email and I would appreciate it if you could make sure that this email is forwarded to the highest appropriate level. So, not to be dis-respectful, I am not just looking for an answer from you or your manager, but rather from “Corporate FNB”. Perhaps someone in the Corporate PR department ?

I visited my home FNB branch yesterday in Randburg to collect new credit cards. For the first time I noticed a pictorial sign outside the bank, presumably meaning no guns allowed. Now, I always carry a firearm as I have not yet been able to decide on which day I am going to be hijacked, so I carry it ALL day, EVERY day, wherever I go because crime knows no boundaries. I am not prepared to arrive home to be confronted by armed criminals and be in a position where I do not have the means to protect myself and my family because today I visited a particular mall or bank and I left my firearm at home in my safe.

Many years ago, when the Randburg FNB branch was in the centre of Randburg, they used to have gun safes near the main entrance for customers to use. As far as I am aware, there are no such facilities at the current branch. Not that I am hugely in favour of that idea either, because that, to me, is just an open invitation for an armed criminal to see who is armed and perhaps commit armed robbery for firearms as well as money and valuables.

I have to ask, in all seriousness, why there is such a sign outside FNB ? I see this sign at shopping malls as well and I just do not know why they exist. I am not trying to be funny here – are legitimate firearm owners who are legally carrying their licenced, concealed firearm for the purposes of self-defence not welcome at the bank (or malls) ? Does anyone in their right minds actually believe the plague of low-life murderous criminals that are taking over this country actually take the slightest notice of such signs ? If anything, they will preferentially attack such places on the off-chance that people who carry self-defence firearms may avoid such places, so they really will meet zero opposition. Criminals don’t obey laws – that’s what makes them criminals.

These “No Gun” zones smack of irrationality in the same way that the zealots at Gun Free South Africa want all citizens to be disarmed, leaving the criminals as the only people with (illegal) firearms.

The latest plague of 11 armed robberies at malls around Gauteng in the last month shows one exactly how effective the “No Guns” signs are at all these malls. If I happen to be in such a place at the wrong time, I have every right to defend myself and my family if needs be. I have every intention of avoiding such a situation, but if someone threatens me or my family with a knife, firearm or any lethal weapon, I know what I should do in response. The same applies if my life was threatened whilst inside FNB.

So, I ask again, what is the purpose of the “No Guns” sign ? I get the feeling that some time ago, somebody thought it was a good idea and this idiocy has been replicated going forward without anybody actually giving it any real thought whatsoever. Does anybody actually think that these signs will do anything at all to make the bank a safer place for you and me ? If so, in what way does such a “No Guns” sign make it a safer place ? It cannot be so – you are trying to tell the “good guys” to give the advantage to the “bad guys” with such signs. The only way to stop criminals getting in with firearms is to have gun-safes, search every single individual entering and make sure all firearms are locked up. Even so, I can guarantee that criminals would also circumvent such a system, so it really should be an “All or Nothing” type of situation and stupid “No Guns” signs are not going to do anything. Of course this latter situation is not practical at all, but if armed criminals are to be targeted, it would be the only way.

I intend to treat those signs in the same way as smokers treat the “No Smoking” signs – the sign says “No Smoking”, so keep your cigarettes in your pocket whilst in the bank. If the sign says “No Guns”, then I shall keep my firearm concealed (as I always do) and not use it whilst in the bank. Does that sound reasonable ?

In short : What are those signs for ? What should I do about them if I always carry a firearm ? I look forward to hearing a response from FNB on this matter.

Thank you,

ABC

User

Default Re: My Letter to FNB - "No Guns" Signs

Ill be interested to see the response...

Thanks for sharing

SAS

User

I'm interested to see their response. As always, the laws surrounding violent crime and the illegal use of firearms is NOTHING compared to the pictogram!

KBK

User

Thank you.
    Please post the response if you get one.

User

I suspect there may be some retarded public liability insurance reasoning behind it. Like the stupid lists of disclaimers we see everywhere nowadays

Great letter!

User

Fantastic stuff! :) I should send that one to Nedbank...

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    I suspect there may be some retarded public liability insurance reasoning behind it. Like the stupid lists of disclaimers we see everywhere nowadays
    I agree. The next issue to raise, of course, is that if the bank insists on disarming you (rendering you unable to act in your own defense), do they now assume responsibility for your safety whilst on their property, with the concomitant liability?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

They are my other bank, but I was waiting until I visit them again. I have a feeling that my Nedbank branch does not have such a sign, but I could be wrong.

I think I will re-draft the letter for Cresta and Northgate and ask if it has helped them lately

Perhaps add a reference to the security guards who waltz in and out openly armed. Why the double standard? Is their life more valuable than yours?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast