Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Default Re: My Letter to FNB - "No Guns" Signs

Was wondering the other day if someone (with legal background) can create a standard response topic for us that has all the Facts according to law about all these so called gun free zones, etc you know with all those article numbers etc, etc that the people who write these things love referring too...

That way when you get a response like that you can call them straight out "Bullshit" and give them the facts with reference links, etc.

On another note:

I've also wondered what would be your odds of winning a legal battle if something happens to you where you would have been able to defend yourself according to law but was not allowed or protected buy the location you where in? Say in the case of FNB robbery takes place you get wounded (killed) they have no security, incompetent security and you where forced to leave your means of self defense at home etc because of their policy?

User

I know this post is old but I just wanted to get clarity on the subject. I see malls and such with the no guns signs so I did some research but i could only find stuff relating to America so please correct me if this is wrong.
    From what I understand, the No Guns signs have no legal standing. They merely serve as a warning that if you are found on site with a gun, the owners can ask you to leave the premises. If you do not, they can then charge you for trespassing. But that has nothing to do with you owning a gun. Much like you cannot be charged for skating through a mall despite the no skating signs. Neither can you be charged for carrying a FA despite the No Firearms Signs. in terms of having security at the door scanning you. They can deny you entrance for what ever reason they feel fit... including owning a FA, but they cannot deny you the right to carry. They cannot confiscate your weapon and they cannot detain you. Once again if some one knows better feel free to correct me.

This aside it's a fact that the majority of BGs carry illegal FAs. What do they care of the signs in the first place.

User

^ pretty much yes

User

What about in KZN, according to the liquor act, all premises that sell any form of liquor is a gun free zone. From bottle stores to restaurants, wine is included so all Checkers, Hyper, Ok and Pick n' Pay are gun free zones.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Botha View Post
    What about in KZN, according to the liquor act, all premises that sell any form of liquor is a gun free zone. From bottle stores to restaurants, wine is included so all Checkers, Hyper, Ok and Pick n' Pay are gun free zones.
    I would apply the laws around the firearm free zone to the above, since it is declared such by law, and not by the owner of the property or business.

User

Perhaps the KZN Liquor act should be challenged, as the declaration of Firearm Free Zones has not been done in accordance with the Firearm Act. One is a municipal law and the other a National law, which is the superior.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8