Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Digital Safes Shown to be Insecure

I have a very old one and the battery went flat on it. I also lost the key to it. I removed all the locks and keypad to it to try and force it open. Will this method still work without the keypad on it? I tried for a few minutes but it didn't work.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Louie89 View Post
    I have a very old one and the battery went flat on it. I also lost the key to it. I removed all the locks and keypad to it to try and force it open. Will this method still work without the keypad on it? I tried for a few minutes but it didn't work.
    If is the same cheap one yes, there is a cheap solenoid that goes down behind a thin plate that blocks the locking bolts from going in when the knob is turned

The solenoid is dirt cheap plastic with very crappy spring, hitting the safe causes the solenoid arm to jump and with the correct timing on turning the knob the plate will slip under the solenoid arm and open up.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HvR View Post
    If is the same cheap one yes, there is a cheap solenoid that goes down behind a thin plate that blocks the locking bolts from going in when the knob is turned

The solenoid is dirt cheap plastic with very crappy spring, hitting the safe causes the solenoid arm to jump and with the correct timing on turning the knob the plate will slip under the solenoid arm and open up.
    Thanks I'll give it a try.

I have one of these Yale safes. Is there any way to modify it to make it more immune to such attacks?

It is either a new safe or Winchester RangerTs. And I need to cycle them :-)

User

Quote Originally Posted by h0stag3 View Post
    I have one of these Yale safes. Is there any way to modify it to make it more immune to such attacks?

It is either a new safe or Winchester RangerTs. And I need to cycle them :-)
    I thought of mounting mine up-side down. Since the solenoid operated down (with gravity). Slamming it from the top whilst turned the other way might help, since the solenoid shouldn't move in that position

SAS

Quote Originally Posted by sa-shooter View Post
    I thought of mounting mine up-side down. Since the solenoid operated down (with gravity). Slamming it from the top whilst turned the other way might help, since the solenoid shouldn't move in that position

SAS
    I am open to opinions :-D

I am also going to email Yale.

Thanks!

User

Mounting upside down won't help. The force causing the solenoid to move stays the same. Opening the door and replacing the solenoid spring might work. Just test before closing to ensure the solenoid can operate.

I will be surprised if a R3000 Yale safe suffers from the same problem. I think they will use a more solid and complicated system that at least resembles a classic multi lever action lock required for SABS certfication

Very interesting. I almost bought a Yale electronic safe from Cash converters for R650. It did have a S.A.B.S certificate, but after reading certain posts here, I'm not convinced. My dad has one of these El-cheapo electronic safes. He has no firearms but keeps a few valuables in it. I'm pretty sure you get better solenoids in Doorbells than in most eletronic safes.

This is very concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by HvR View Post
    Mounting upside down won't help. The force causing the solenoid to move stays the same. Opening the door and replacing the solenoid spring might work. Just test before closing to ensure the solenoid can operate.

I will be surprised if a R3000 Yale safe suffers from the same problem. I think they will use a more solid and complicated system that at least resembles a classic multi lever action lock required for SABS certfication
    I've got a Yale but I don't keep anything of value in it. I might try it sometime.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast