User

Default 900 Lumen SST-50 powered light = NOW IN STOCK.

I am expecting my first batch of the Thrunite Catapult SST-50 Emitter lights before 23 Dec 2009 and I am taking preorders - just PM me!

This is an amazing light at at an amazing launch price of R1150.00 EXCL Shipping from Pta.

Please note that you will need at least 1 x 18650 Lithium Rechargeable battery to make it work well (but it can utilise CR123 Batteries)

Read independent reviews here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=252477

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=244670

I gave the sample light to a local LED light lover and aficionado "JW" for his inputs and unbiased review and this is what he had to say:

Thank you for the opportunity to use the Thrunite Catapult the last few days. This light has really captured my attention since I saw a post by the manufacturer on the CPFMP. Since then two CPF members have posted excellent reviews on the light with detailed test results. Here are those links:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=252477
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=244670

The beam
    - I simply love the beam pattern of this light. Tint is not to cool and can be described as neutral
    - The light has a small hot-spot for the emitter die size. Just outside the hot-spot I noticed a square area that is dimmer than the hot-spot, but brighter than the flood area (I have no problem with this and is most likely due to the large deep reflector projecting the die)
    - Side spill is very bright and very usable. Not as wide as some other lights, but great in this class
    - Throw is very good and compares well to other lights. Much better than MCE and P7 lights tested to date. My RQ (Raidfire Spear clone with Q5 XR-E) has a much smaller hot-spot and the intensity is very close to the Catapult

The likes
    - Very solid construction with lots of aluminum to ensure good heat sinking
    - Very nice to handle with only one 18650 battery installed
    - The SST-50 is a real amazing LED and great choice for a great light. The LED can be driven at much higher currents as well (manufacturer spec). This LED is therefore driven far from max and should therefore give an excellent lifetime. (Can you please find out what bin the emitters are?)
    - The single die emitter also gives a much better beam pattern than for e.g. the SSP P7 and MCE.
    - This light gives the best of both worlds, great thrower and great flood beam
    - Forward clicky on a tactical light is a bonus (I do however prefer reverse clickies on multi-mode lights)

Some things that need improvement (these are my views and some others may disagree)
    - Batteries rattle in the light (very noticeable with 2 x 18650s). Should be even worse with the smaller 2 x 16340s (not tested)
    - In a light like this I prefer a single high mode and no strobe mode
    - It happened twice that I held the forward clicky half pressed and when I pressed it forward for the click the mode changed (not sure if this was internal bounce of the switch or the rattling batteries)
    - Packaging internals are not as high quality as the rest of the light (no real problem, since the light will be removed and used)
    - Head stands quite nicely, but it will roll off a table when placed on its side
    - When used with two 18650s the location of the switch on the tailcap is not desirable. The balance becomes awkward when handled with only one hand
    Last edited by DS; 05-01-2010 at 09:28.

User

Default Re: 900 Lumen SST-50 powered light.

Hi,

Do you sell the 18650 Rechargeable Batteries ?

How much are they with a charger?

Thanks

User

Default 18650

If they go with a light they are R100 each per battery and charger. Without the light they are R125 each. I am getting excellent results on the Cytacs.

d

I briefly fondled this light yesterday, and honestly I think it is a bargain at that price, good solid feel, great output, great package for the price, Khumba thanks for the "sample" that you gave me, I am leaving for the bush for a couple of days and will test it and write an article on it!