Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Camera System

Default Camera System

Hi guys,

I need to understand what my best options are in terms of installing a camera system (this would include firearms safe monitoring). I need something that is comparatively simple to install and which will enable me to monitor what is going on by viewing on a tablet, computer or smart phone.

At home in Johannesburg I have an ADSL line on a Telkom D-Link Wi-Fi.

At another house at the coast (marine conditions - high humidity etc as we are within about 30 meters of the water) we have very fast 3G and I have a Wi-Fi router available there as well. It is currently not set up permanently but I could do so, if it makes sense.

I was looking at the Vox Telecom Guardian Eye Lite as an option. Any other ideas or suggestions? There in mind that I know absolutely nothing about cameras, setting them up or this type of security setup.

Cheers,
    WZ

User

Default Re: Camera System

WZ,

If you do decide, and choose not to go with our option, pop me a PM to say why, and I can then take that info back to the product guys. The customer can always think of things we have not, and that feedback is invaluable.

Good luck in the search.

User

You will always get an Ubiquiti (http://www.ubnt.com/) recommendation from me. Easy to setup either wired or wireless; I recommend wired.

You get to use their very cool software on PC, tablets or smartphone:
    View multiple cameras at the same time and set movement alert zones on each camera.

User

I've been looking at these guys: http://cctv-direct.co.za/

Anybody have experience with them or their systems?
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

WZ, as with all things you get what you pay for! This is especially true with regards to CCTV equipment. Try avoid the cheap "bundle" deals available. I am to far to assist with a quote but could ask my supplier which other client buys the same product in you area and get you a contact.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Vier View Post
    WZ,

If you do decide, and choose not to go with our option, pop me a PM to say why, and I can then take that info back to the product guys. The customer can always think of things we have not, and that feedback is invaluable.

Good luck in the search.
    Hi DJ

Thanks. At this point I know nothing about the various pros and cons and the available systems. The only reason I mention Vox is because I heard the radio ad.

WZ

What i did was and it is most cost effective:

If you have computers at both locations ,get a webcam or 2 and long enough cable to take your webcam from your pc/laptop to the room of the safe etc. and download and install Ispy from the internet onto that monitoring computer/laptop as well as the teamviewer application.

Setup your required settings on the Ispy application and make sure that both your webcams are running,you also have motion trigger setting so set that as well
    Setup your teamviewer with unattended acces password and take down your monitored pc Teamviewer ID

Also make sure that Teamviewer starts on windows log on,and set your pc bios to start up if power failure occurs

As this is the cheapest most effective option just make sure that you have light inside that room as webcams usually are not Infra red that is the only Con

And there you go just test and enjoy

Thanks Vo1ty. Unfortunately that won't work for me as I do not and will not have computers running at both locations. Also, I want to avoid running cabling.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Thanks Vo1ty. Unfortunately that won't work for me as I do not and will not have computers running at both locations. Also, I want to avoid running cabling.
    Just remember that you will encounter lost signal/visual from time to time and if this is an important part of your security system these cameras operate on the open 2.4GHz open ISM band (aka WiFi band) which can be interrupted by readily available and cheap jammers.

Quote Originally Posted by HvR View Post
    Just remember that you will encounter lost signal/visual from time to time and if this is an important part of your security system these cameras operate on the open 2.4GHz open ISM band (aka WiFi band) which can be interrupted by readily available and cheap jammers.
    Thank you for that. I was not aware of that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast