Default Exporting a double barrel shotgun to the US

Guys,

I am in possession of a doublebarrelled shotgun which is something of a bit of family heritage. The people to whom it rightfully belongs now live in Fort Lauderdale in Florida in the US. How much drama are we in for if we want to export the shot gun from here (South Africa) to there? My immediate sense is that it may be more trouble than it is worth but I have not done it before and so do not have a clear perspective.

Any input much appreciated.

WZ

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Default Re: Exporting a double barrel shotgun to the US

Ask your mate Andrew to assist.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

The challenge is getting an export permit from here!

Once upon a time I tried to do something similar - exporting a shotgun licensed to my dad but given to me, and I wanted to take it to the UK where I was living at the time and held a UK shotgun license (which licenses the person, not the gun).
    Basically SAPS threw up a lot of paperwork, I suspect due to their unfamiliarity with the process, and after about 9 months of to-ing and fro-ing, I withdrew the application rather than having a REFUSED on my records. IIRC SAPS demanded a bunch of documentation from the UK side - stuff like a reciprocal import permit, proof that the importer had the relevant licenses (as I said above, the UK has a completely different licensing regime, which CFR couldn't begin to fathom), clearance from the tax authorities that any and all duties were paid etc etc. As you can imagine, as a private individual, this became a major PITA.
    I spoke to the UK Firearms guys and they just scratched their heads at the request because they were completely unable to address most of the requests, although they were happy to help where they could. My conclusion was that the discord between the SA way of dealing with these things and the foreign way made it virtually impossible because SAPS' default position is (was?) to not grant an export permit unless you remove every hurdle they throw up. At least that was my experience 8-10 years back. Hopefully you have better luck!

If the recipient is licensed in the US, I doubt there is too much of a challenge on the US side. There will probably be a nominal import duty or tax but not much else.

Good luck!

Thanks for that.

I don't know about exporting to the USA but im busy exporting several firearms to Sweden for a forum member on GS currently. So far the process has been relatively simple.

Lets chat via PM I may just be able to assist.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm -George Orwell

User

I know someone who may or may not be a family member who may or may not have had in his possesion a Mauser with boer war heritage. He may or may not have a son living in the US.

He may have take this rifle over on a temporary export permit for hunting and may or may not have left it there with his son.

It could be that this theoretical person was very happy afterwards with his cunning plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    I know someone who may or may not be a family member who may or may not have had in his possesion a Mauser with boer war heritage. He may or may not have a son living in the US.

He may have take this rifle over on a temporary export permit for hunting and may or may not have left it there with his son.

It could be that this theoretical person was very happy afterwards with his cunning plan.
    Could also backfire badly. For example if you can't produce the firearm when required to do so.

User

It may or may not be a problem.