Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default 9mm pistol cleaning kit

I was at the gun shop with indoor shooting range in Centurion, Pta, the other day and asked the guy behind the counter if they stock cleaning kits for 9mm pistols.

He said the .38 cleaning kit fits the 9mm.

Is this true or not? I don't want to pay R175 for the .38 kit and stuff up my CZ75B in the process just because he said so.

User

Default Re: 9mm pistol cleaning kit

Yes they are the same. 9mm, .38sp and 357 mag all have the same diameter bullet (give or take)

User

Thanks. Any other brand in particular I should look at or is the RAM cleaning kit sufficient?

User

That is a highly debated subject. I use Hopes no9 as my solvent and Hopes bench rest oil as my Lube. The RAM stuff works fine. My advice, having gone up and down this road myself, don't think too much into it. As time goes on you can try different things and see what works for you. Remember, don't over oil. It just makes a mess. One drop of oil on each slot in the slide.

User

Someone told me it is better to use a 10mm/40SW cleaning kit on a 9mm as the bronze brush cleans better.

User

It's going to be fun pulling that brush through a 9mm barrel.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HadEnuf View Post
    It's going to be fun pulling that brush through a 9mm barrel.
    +1

User

The brush will be fine, but you're not for the life of all going to get a patch through the barrel with a .40 kit.

Anyway, my pistol's barrel is cleaned with a standard RAM cleaning kit with the RAM Nitro Solvent (I LOOOOOVE that smell). The rest of the gun (internals) is sprayed with RAM Trisol and brushed with the cleaning brush. When all is done the gun is given a bit of heat from a hair dryer (lets all excess oil run out) and treated with Slip 2000's Extreme Weapons Lube (inside and moving parts) and all external steel bits and non-moving parts are giving a nice wiping with Eezox.

RAM kits are decent, and replacement brushes/jags are easily found. It is a good starting point. Then get a decent nitro solvent, cotton buds and a used toothbrush and you have a complete cleaning kit that will last years. Add a good oil to wipe over occasionally to prevent rusting and you are good to go.

DSG

Quote Originally Posted by snail112 View Post
    I was at the gun shop with indoor shooting range in Centurion, Pta, the other day and asked the guy behind the counter if they stock cleaning kits for 9mm pistols.

He said the .38 cleaning kit fits the 9mm.

Is this true or not? I don't want to pay R175 for the .38 kit and stuff up my CZ75B in the process just because he said so.
    What is in the RAM kit that you will actually use? The solvent is a bit basic and dated compared to what's available.

I would see if there is a replacement kit from a Glock 19/17 available in the gun shop. Then buy some good CLP (Cleaner/Lube/Preservative) brand like Breakfree CLP. A small container will last a while since it's used very sparingly. Then get some cotton patches or tear up an old sheet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast