Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Best FMJ available in SA

The various threads here where the BTDT guys have repeatedly said that ball is far better than nothing are spot on IMO, but let's say that ball is all you can find. What ball ammo...9mm / .40 / and .45 do you get and use? For me in 9mm, the US Military spec NATO 124gr is my choice and I have several hundred rounds of it...will get more after the new year. I have several thousand FMJ .45 but my pick would be either the Military sealed case of WCC 1977 ball I have or Federal American Eagle.

In SA I know that PMP ammo is reliable but a bit weak in 9mm...having shot a fair amount of it in .45 I would use it in that caliber with no misgivings. I do not shoot .40.

What say you guys? Reloads are not included in this one...factory FMJ ammo only.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Best FMJ available in SA

pmp/ s&b / privi partisan
    live out your imagination , not your history.

No experience with Privi handgun ammo but their rifle stuff is all tops!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

The only factory FMJ's I've ever shot was PMP and S&B. Much more PMP than S&B. I'd go with PMP. Mom and Dad's Mod 84's mags are loaded with then, so is the 9mmP carbine's mags and never a problem. We don't really have that much choice in ammo anyway.

Does FMJ really have to be loaded hot?

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

i would rather fmj hot. berdan PMP are hot and rare but are available commercially
    live out your imagination , not your history.

NATO spec for the 124gr 9mm (there are specs for other weight bullets too) is around 1220fps from the M9 (Beretta) 4.9in barrel...effectively +P velocity if it was commercial ammo. I do not consider this 'hot' but rather normal for 9mmP loads that most high quality pistols were designed around. I like the added velocity for added penetration in hard surface targets but it also can come in handy if a bullet hits heavy bone. Otherwise it is a definite deep penetrator...so watch your backstop area when using it. My guess is that PMP commercial is running about 100-150 or so fps less than that...about the same as US blasting ammo like WW White Box or Blazer Brass, etc.

Remember, it is about weapon reliability too, and I think full power loads are more reliable.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor
    NATO spec for the 124gr 9mm (there are specs for other weight bullets too) is around 1220fps from the M9 (Beretta) 4.9in barrel...effectively +P velocity if it was commercial ammo. I do not consider this 'hot' but rather normal for 9mmP loads that most high quality pistols were designed around. I like the added velocity for added penetration in hard surface targets but it also can come in handy if a bullet hits heavy bone. Otherwise it is a definite deep penetrator...so watch your backstop area when using it. My guess is that PMP commercial is running about 100-150 or so fps less than that...about the same as US blasting ammo like WW White Box or Blazer Brass, etc.
    Now that I think about it, hot 124grain FMJ's in a carbine might be a good idea. With the longer barrel, better aim and non-existant recoil (semi-auto) it couldn't hurt :)

What carbine do you have?
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor
    What carbine do you have?
    It's my dad's - a SANNA 77. Used on the farm, mostly ready at night within the farm house. Apparently unreliable, but we've never had a malfunction.

Ah yes...CZ 25 copy or thereabouts. Hey...if it is reliable use it! They don't have a great reputation but that does not mean yours is not reliable. Beats a harsh word and a stern look for sure! ;D
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast