Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Assistance Required: First Big Bore...

Hello all,

Firstly, thanks for the assistance and guidance on previous posts. I am currently at a point in my collection where the next step is a big bore rifle.

I currently own a 9mm, .22LR,223 Rem, and .308 WIN.

To be honest and upfront, I require the rifle for a hunt planned between myself and my best mate in +- 7 years - need to practice :)

I want a big bore - been speaking to loads of people, and the following are suggested calibers : .404 Jeffery, .416 Rigby & .458 Win Mag

I would like to build the rifle, and would appreciate any recommendation on calibers, stocks etc.

Any guidance, help, assistance and chirps would be greatly appreciated!

M

User

Default Re: Assistance Required: First Big Bore...

.416 Rigby, the best allround heavy in my opinion. If you want to be more unique .460 Bauer.

User

Clint, haven't heard of the Bauer. Just don't want a gun where i am going to flinch... Will goole-it... Thanks for reply!

User

You need to decide your own parameters, as most big bores are up to the job of shooting dangerous game in competent hands, as a basic assumption.

Questions like ammo availability (do you reload?), weight of gun to carry all day vs amount of recoil you can handle, will the gun be a dedicated DG rifle or will you also use it for non-DG, open sights or scope and and and? Things like budget also have a role to play.

Once you start to refine your requirements, then you can narrow down your choices. It's a fun process!

If you want a straight suggestion, I would go for the 416 Rigby (because that's what I bought!) But my suggestion is based on my criteria, which is a calibre that is more than adequate for DG and can also be used at reasonable range for non dangerous game. IMHO the 458 Win is marginal, although history proves it works at close range. The 375 is a great all-rounder but at the smaller end for DG, especially as a charge stopper.

If I was going for a dedicated DG calibre, I would look at a 505 Gibbs or a 450 Rigby. The Gibbs gets the vote cos it's a very heavy hitter and you can find factory guns and ammo components without having to go the custom route. The 450 would be considered because it uses 458 bullets, which are readily available, although guns and brass are tricker to come by. Any big bores outside of 375s and 458Wins are going to be costly beasts to buy and keep feeding.

User

Desperatezulu,

I feel like a kid before x-mas...

Yes i reload myself. It will not be dedicated DG gun. Sights - i would like to have it open sights, but will consider scope - again- first BB.. - so asking for advice...

Then comes stock design etc :)

Thanks for advice so far

User

If its for a one of hunt, buy a .375 and you will end up using it more than you expect.
    If you want something bigger, go for the 416 Rigby.
    Check the costs of components for the various calibres before deciding.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Banned

Regarding costs: a friend has a 505 Gibbs and he gets max 3 reloads the from a single case; usually just 2.

User

Well, I have a 404 Jeffery. It's never been on a DG hunt and the way things are going won't be for years to come. It accompanies me on many hunts though, this year it took kudu, most years it knocks over blue wildebeest and has taken impala and warthog. Only serious meat damage I had was on the warthog where I hit the shoulder bone and it blew bone fragments everywhere. Despite being slower than the Rigby, it'll make an adequate performer out to 150m. Not sure for what application a big bore needs to run further.

As to recoil, it is a brute off the bench. I manage about 10 shots per range session. The thought of of something bigger sort of scares me, I'm glad I didn't get something bigger. I suggest you try and shoot with some big bores to get a feel for your recoil tolerance.

You're welcome to shoot my 404 if we can get together. I'm in Pretoria.

What are you planning to hunt? A little difficult for the boys to offer good advice without this.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

IMHO I would go 375 H&H. It works, and has worked on DG for a 100. And I've dropped buff with one shot from my 375. If you'll be hunting DG you won't necessary need a charge stopper , that's what the ph is there for. If it is a solo hunt then yes, get the biggest cal you can shoot accurately with under stressful conditions. (Come and join us at a BASA shoot)
    416 and 404 are both wonderful calibers and I've seen then stop charging hippos with excellent bullet placement.
    If you want, give me a shout, I've got a 375 H&H and 458 Express and we could meet at the range for a fun filled informal Big bore shooting day. I'm sure we can get a group of guys together at the range.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast