User

Default Taurus TCP 738 any good?

Hi guys hope you all doing well. Im in the market now for a sub compact pistol for my wife. Been down to the City Guns and A.Rosenthal in CT and was offered a Glock something, S&W Shield and a Ruger LCP. All of them are fine weapons but I sort of had my eye on the Taurus. I currently own the PT809 which I will do my 2nd part of my review shortly, as soon as I do about 3500 rounds through it. But anyway, Ive read a few reviews on the internet but would just like to know if anyone has any 1st hand experience with them.
    I personally like the Ruger best but the Taurus comes in a pink polymer frame with a blued slide which obviously the Mrs likes ALOT.
    Im sure the Taurus will perform well, as my PT809 has been doing all this time. Mid 2015 planning on getting the PT1911 actually.
    Aggh im rambling again, any feedback from the TCP will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Default Re: Taurus TCP 738 any good?

Check TacShac thread on this pistol. They posted a review. It said the pistol handled 10,000 rounds no problems.

User

the only problem i know of with the TCP is that if you short stroke the trigger before proper reset it ends up in a "nuetral" state, where by the shooter has to pull the slide back slighty to reset the striker.

this is of course easily avoided with practice, practice and more practice and wouldnt concern me at all if you know its a problem and trained to release the trigger fully after each shot or find the proper reset.

this problem may have been corrected, still a cool little pistol, i'd get one.
    but your Mrs needs to actively practice with it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    the only problem i know of with the TCP is that if you short stroke the trigger before proper reset it ends up in a "nuetral" state, where by the shooter has to pull the slide back slighty to reset the striker.

this is of course easily avoided with practice, practice and more practice and wouldnt concern me at all if you know its a problem and trained to release the trigger fully after each shot or find the proper reset.

this problem may have been corrected, still a cool little pistol, i'd get one.
    but your Mrs needs to actively practice with it.
    Yes and no.

The TCP 738 is hammer fired so there is no striker.

The trigger is light and smooth with a positive reset - double-action only, but yes the slide must reciprocate in order to reset the trigger. This means that in case of a failure to fire you cannot just pull the trigger again as it has not been reset. You will have to do a tap-rack. This is good technique in any case.

I'm not sure if short-stroking would cause that though, but I don't think so.
    Last edited by JS4; 09-10-2014 at 07:24.

User

Quote Originally Posted by JS4 View Post
    Yes and no.

The TCP 738 is hammer fired so there is no striker.

The trigger is light and smooth with a positive reset - double-action only, but yes the slide must reciprocate in order to reset the trigger. This means that in case of a failure to fire you cannot just pull the trigger again as it has not been reset. You will have to do a tap-rack. This is good technique in any case.

I'm not sure if short-stroking would cause that though, but I don't think so.
    internal or external hammer?

been a while since i looked at them and cant remember. i watched some vids and one guy displayed the short stroke type trigger issue, if i can find it i will post it.

Last edited by Trayton; 09-10-2014 at 08:30. Reason: got it!

User

External, spur-less hammer.

Will check out the video later.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    internal or external hammer?

been a while since i looked at them and cant remember. i watched some vids and one guy displayed the short stroke type trigger issue, if i can find it i will post it.

Watched it now, and had a look at one in the safe here.

He is correct in that the hammer is at a half-cock position after the slide cycles and that there is a first click, which (if the trigger is pulled then) releases the hammer from half-cock. I'll take his word on it firing sometimes from there. So the trigger needs to be released to the second click.

He is IMO incorrect about this making the firearm "unsuitable for EDC" as it is just a training issue.

He is definitely incorrect about racking the firearm with his finger on the trigger though!
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]