Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Zuma wanted charges dropped because corruption is a 'Western thing'

Oh yes. And paying taxes (and tolls) is also a 'Western thing'. I like this guy more and more...

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Oh yes. And paying taxes (and tolls) is also a 'Western thing'. I like this guy more and more...
    Yeah well, he doesn't pay either so he doesn't care... :D

Well, at least this statement confirms what we know about the attitude of the ANC generally (& probably the majority of SA citizens) & of Zuma particularly, is towards corruption & nepotism. A large number of Western ideals & legal concepts are completely foreign to indigenous law & always will be. When African 'leaders' lose their position & power due to corruption, it is not due to the belief that corruption per se is wrong amongst the populace, but because a section of the populace feels left out of the benefits of corruption & want to ensure that they can rise to the top of the gravy train & benefit from their own corruption. At least Zuma has told the truth for once.

The 'West' & its governments are just as corrupt, but they realise that educated & informed citizens are more likely to vote them out if they push it too far - they seem to have adapted better to keeping the goose that lays the golden egg (tax payers) in a semi permanent coma, rather than killing it off in the medium term & have learned only too well that it is better to have as many citizens as possible above the bread line & involved in the economy - your subjects always need to feel that they have something to lose so that they are disinclined to rock the boat.

Well if corruption is a western thing then so to is money, much easier to ferret away a couple of million than 100 cows. So JZ must decide, you cannot enjoy the fruits of western capitalism without the associated control mechanisms that accompany the distribution thereof.

His comment merely illustrates a complete lack of intellect and or moral bankruptcy. Another in a long line of African leaders who have scant regard for the people of the country as they merrily continue plundering.

@nkosi. The West and it's governments are not just as corrupt, there is corruption but nowhere near the scale. We are talking wholesale plunder with no accountability and not just JZ but all the cohorts that he has set the example for. JZ would never have been elected president in any European country with those charges hanging over him. In the 1 in a million chance he would have been impeached shortly thereafter, not protected but his co-plunderers.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Are we gonne stop paying Tax now? VIVA AFRICA VIVA

User

Quote Originally Posted by Daan View Post
    Rule of law is a western concept.
    I would like to think "rule of law" was already a thing back when "the west" was still a myth.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Daan View Post
    Rule of law is a western concept.
    I agree with this statement. So it comes down to consistency. Corruption is a "Western thing" because that is what is being investigated. If it was Tax evasion or rape or robbery or a parking ticket the same argument would apply. Why don't we just all argue that law is a "Western thing" and do what we want?

And I just back spaced 2 more paragraphs. Nothing significant can come from my rant on the Internet...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I would like to think "rule of law" was already a thing back when "the west" was still a myth.
    Are you talking about before Oom Jan came here? I would like to think things where quite savage. Disputes settled with spears and violence. No religion. And I also think rule of law has some origin from religion. But that's just my reasoning and I could be completely wrong.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Louie89 View Post
    Are you talking about before Oom Jan came here? I would like to think things where quite savage. Disputes settled with spears and violence. No religion. And I also think rule of law has some origin from religion. But that's just my reasoning and I could be completely wrong.
    Nope rule of law simply if you live in a community and you do shit that pisses the others of you face consequences. It has been practiced long before there even where civilizations

User

I have been pondering about this during the night, and I cannot help but to agree with him.

Not because I think he is correct, he is wrong, but when it comes to what he believes then he is correct. How many of you guys have more than 1 wife, do you think it wrong? How long does a king reign, 10 years? To whom does the riches of the country belong, to use as he sees fit other than the king? Remember we had a vote not so long ago, and the people of this country voted for him, they agree with him. What I still find interesting is that he haven't scrapped the 2 term rule yet, kings die, they don't get replaced every 2 terms, mugabe etc.

Saying that it's not the african way is exactly what the masses want to hear, that way there are several other rules/laws that can be ignored. I must say it's remarkable that we haven't seen more of this kind of reasoning from our leaders, but don't let that fool you, we see it every day in all aspects of life. Most people in "leader" positions today who's unfit for that positions is in there because of the loyalty system, not the merit system, so it's nothing more than a corrupt system. And we see it, we know it, it's accepted for what it is, the debate on hand is nothing else, I expect more such things to come.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast