Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Thinking of getting a Heckler & Koch USP 9 Compact

I'm seriously considering taking the plunge and buying one of these. Always liked these, probably because you don't see many of them, at least I don't, only seen one actually.

Does anyone have any opinions on these? What are they like to shoot, carry and do they have any faults?

Thanks
    Craig
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Default Re: Thinking of getting a Heckler & Koch USP 9 Compact

Very high quality. Excellent pistol. Parts are difficult to obtain. Magazines run in about the R1000 range. High bore axis and shocking triggers.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Very reliable and durable as well as accurate. Parts are difficult to get in the states so would be a nightmare here. Personally the grip doesnt fit me and i cant get used to the trigger. But if it works for you not a bad choice.

Extremely tough and sufficiently over-engineered. I have the full size USP in 9x19. Love the gun except for the appaling trigger and the unjustifiable price of spares, mags etc. I've shot the Compact in 9x19 and .40. Not bad except I kept comparing the bore axis to my Glock 19 and it actually makes a difference in shot to shot times.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Thanks guys, didn't know that they had a trigger problem, never heard that mentioned before, but then again you don't see many of them.

I like interesting guns, not that thats always a good thing, just the stuff you don't see much of and this is something I've always had my eye on. Saying that, I've only ever seen one and then only for about 5 min, and never fired one!

Do they hold their value?, saying that, is there a second hand market at the moment?

Mmm, what to do?
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

It's not so much that they have a trigger problem but rather that their reset is sloppy and the double action pull overly heavy. As you know there is not much of a market for used guns these days but I have seen a .45 compact for about 7k, practically new in box.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bla
    Dont listen to these panzies. Been drinking too much of the Glock cool-aid. Yeah, the HK triggers arent great, but apauling is a very strong word. BigT's weight is apauling, the HK trigger is slightly sub-standard (Glock trigger is better though).

Great guns. I enjoy mine more than my Glock. Order spares via the internet and you are sorted. I bought USP mags for R160 a piece from the states. Local dealers will rip you off. Only other spares you might need is a mag spring or two after a couple of years.

Go shoot one, decide for yourself.
    No, your spelling is appalling.

You bought your mags USED from some guy on the net. You got lucky. What spares have you ordered from the internet and from who?

Oh yeah, if you break your ejector you need a new frame. (It's unlikely to happen though)

Note to Mod: we know each other so the flaming is taken in stride.
    Havamal

User

Yes very ugly.....bashing each other's Tupperware ;D

Hi all.

Craig, you are from EL if i am not mistaken, Robert's son? Hi i am a collector with SAAACA and am friends with Louis (para is his nickname on here). I have a HK USP compact in .40SW with the stainless slide Sitting there at TL. I would not mind at all if u were to want to have a look or to shoot it, i know that mine is 40SW and ur looking at 9mmP, but im sure u will get a feel for the gun. May i ask why u prefer 9mmP as apposed to the 40SW?

I wanted specifically the 40SW. I have shot the HK and i did not hate the trigger, that being said i have a number of top-end guns and can compare one for one. I bought the HK USPc to replace my Glock 27 which i now carry everyday. I do not feel comfortable carrying the Glock with 1-up as the Glock has no manual safety (I know some will yell - passive safety, i just dont feel comfy).

The HK i have is the variant 1, I believe that there are 7 different trigger/ hammer variants, the variant 1 is a doble/ single action where the safety has a hammer-drop function downwards with the safety engaged upwards. You can carry chamber empty with safety on/off, carry cocked and locked (colt style) or carry 1-up decocked with safety on/off. i intent to carry 1-up, decocked with safety engaged. As for spares, i ordered a spare extractor and two spare mags from rosenthals (the Sa agents) and they were fast to deliver, the mags set me back around R600.00 odd if i remember and the extractor just under R200.00 if i recall, this was about 2 and ahalf years ago. i have owned a number of HK's and find all to be of superb quality. The only thing is that the slide is not as durable and corrosion resistant as the glocks, but then nothing else is :)

Well hope this has helped, if ur wanting to go HK i do not believe you shall regret it, and the offer to shoot mine stands.

take care

Hi Andy,

Correct, that me, funny that we haven't actually met yet, but my Dad often talks about you, referring to you as Andy, 'you know, the guy with all the handguns'

I saw yours at TL in Feb, and is the one I was referring to. I was looking at the 9mm as a friend has one for sale, but would go for .40 if it came up. I am almost sure that this is the same variant as yours, except it has the blued slide. This is one of those guns that is sitting there saying 'buy me' buy me' 'buy me' but I've spent a bit already this year, and sooner or later the old lady's going to raise those eyebrows at me.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm outta town till Feb, will definitely get in contact when I'm around. Maybe ask Para to set up a collectors shoot, sure we all have some intersting stuff we could bring along.

Thanks again, Craig
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast