Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Reccomendations on big bore rifles for field guides

Ok, slowly getting all the ducks in a row. Ideally I would prefer to use the lodges rangers and guides however some of the lodges have already asked me to start making the required plans as the photographic safari's dont typically fit into the standard game drive way of doing things and is challenging for the lodges to accomodate at times when the lodge is shared by guests on a photo safari than those who are not. I am thus slowly planning arround this issue to make everyones lives a bit easier.

I completely agree in regard to being proficient and shot placement that is why I want to get a rifle early on in the process to allow for lots of range time and more practical simulation type training before I go solo. I plan to shoot often, like I do with my handgun (i.e. at least 2X per month) hence cost of reloading also a factor (I reload for my handgun and have done my own load development for my SD rounds so reloading wont be a challenge for me). I want to make the right choice in terms of rifle and something a bit above the big game entry level 375. I am leaning towards the 416 Ruger Alaskan with synthetic stock as it is shorter and lighter than the 416 Rigby and may better suite my needs. What is the general consensus on the Ruger? Additionally, with the big bores, is a mussel break worth while and does it make a marked difference on the recoil?

Raker, first off, get qualified as a guide or you will get yourself and your clients hurt or killed. In my experience, keen photographers almost always push their luck, and here Im talking about experienced guides who took up photography. On more than one occassion I had to be very very assertive to save the lives of clients who couldnt stop looking through the lense. If you are guiding guests, guide them first and leave lectures to the vehicle or lodge. As a lodge owner and a guide with more experience than most, I will not let anyone guide my clients that I dont believe is competent in the bush first. Get training on walking into game and do it plenty by yourself and with a mentor. Then get experience with guests as they change the dynamic a great deal.

As to rifles, .375 H&H is a good start, as is 458 express or Lott (less fond of Lott due to pressure and jamming issues). I'd avoid 458 win mag as it is an unreliable charge stopper. Dont listen to people who claim the marginally larger diameter makes the difference, penetration and only penetration counts, particularly in straight lines when it comes to charge stopping. Only CNS shots reliably end charges instantly. Naturally 416 is also good, (probably the best penetrator) but hellishly expensive on ammo. Personally I like the CZ range of rifles for their ruggedness.
    Get training and practice, practice, practice some more. The FGASA advanced rifle handling qualification is an entry level course as far as Im concerned.
    Last edited by Bushboy; 28-10-2014 at 21:19.

User

if you want compact look at the Sako 375h&h in Brown Bear and Kodiak , light rifles with a 21" barrel and probably the best open sights I have seen on a standard rifle.

IMHO anything bigger than 375 will be difficult to master .

User

Of course, doing the guide training is a mandatory step and is one of the things I am doing as part of the process, you would be an idiot not to do it. I have actually been guiding in another industry for over 17 years but the risks are very different and I know there is still lots of things I need to learn which.

In terms of photographers pushing there luck, I agree however this is due to them not following the ethichs in wildlife photography which are very clear. Unfortunately, the rangers are also to blame in many regards as they are not strict enough in my opinion and allow the boundaries to be pushed which can lead to a disaster and quickly. Thanks for all the possitive advise and recommendations.

User

most trail guides use .375 because they shoot quite often and it the cheapest of the big bores to shoot with. that and the fact that's its the smallest legal firearm to carry in dangerous game country as a backup are the only reasons they use them.
    its not ideal as a charge stopper but will do the job if you do your part. When guiding or taking out clients I carry a .416 Rigby. Its big enough powerful enough and can be relied on to do the job well. as for make, CZ are probably around the hardiest of rifles available and can handle the long hours in the dust, grime and heat.

with regards to comments on carrying a handgun as backup in dangerous game country, that's completely insane and the idea should not even be entertained. A .44 or even a 500 is not going to stop and Elephant charge.

Hand guns wont stop charging elephant but are useful nonetheless for predators. I still just carry my glock for this as it is my edc. If a rifle can get a bullet to the CNS reliably in most circumstances it will do the job. I like the 416 but find ammo very expensive. A good 50 rounds per month will break most peoples banks

User

if you reload the .416 Rigby is about R 1.85 more expensive than the .375.
    its not even worth splitting hairs about.

Quote Originally Posted by dritz View Post
    if you reload the .416 Rigby is about R 1.85 more expensive than the .375.
    its not even worth splitting hairs about.
    Awesome, where do you get your cheap 416 brass from and how much do you pay for it? If I can build a decent brass library (say 200 cases as a start) at reasonable cost, I may consider going onto a 416

My .375 costs me less than R10 to relaod, R6/ 300gr brass solid, 63gr S335, R45c for LRMP, ammortized cost of brass. I buy 40 rounds of premium factory ammo every 3 months as primary carry ammo for my staff and obviously that all becomes brass. My .375 brass library is now sitting at well over 500 cases and 458 brass at probably 4-500.

User

AITA Raker, whats the name of your operation/location??? BIG BEAR

User

yes the brass is expensive as a start off, I have been collection brass for almost 7 years now for the .416. the last lot I bought was from Ken Stewart so its a while back now.
    to get going with most of the big bores its expensive, but after you have a fair amount of brass its really not that bad.
    some of my brass is now on 5 reloads and its still looking good. I have a total of 300 loaded rounds right now for the .416 and I have 60 that I need to load up at some point.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3