Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Police, Army and smuggled weapons used in crime.

Quote Originally Posted by ravingDIODE View Post
    As in a how-to for uploading files or are you talking about something else?
    For the whole exercise, create a wiki where members can share(whoever they might be) write articles public or not. Get a place where people can publish their stories and make it public. Open it so that they can see the facts.

User

Perhaps you could make use of https://archive.today rather than copying and pasting each news article. The website makes a copy of the whole page so you can see images and comments and the rest of the page at a later stage by going to the archived link...

Another option for collecting everything is Google Docs. I'm not a fan of Dropbox because unless things changed you need an account to view and edit shared content, I don't think this is the case with Google Docs.

User

Perhaps you could make use of https://archive.today rather than copying and pasting each news article.
    Thanks d7e7r7, that I will definitely use.

The wiki page is also a grand idea.

In the meantime I have created a gmail account to store my data (on google drive). I can share the password with interested parties so that entire documents can be downloaded from anywhere (perhaps when needed before a short notice public debate with gfsa)

User

No need to share the password. Just set the permissions of the doc to allow everyone read-only access.

User

No need to share the password. Just set the permissions of the doc to allow everyone read-only access.
    Thanks Peaceofficer, I will do it that way.

User

Quote Originally Posted by cpsadrian View Post
    Somewhere there is also all the FA's supplied to the IFP during the faction fighting in the 1990's - cant remember where i saw it, but the numbers were scary and there is no trace of virtually any of those
    Not to mention the struggle weapons brought into SA by our very own ANC.

User

With dropbox, you can access files via a link and view the contents and upload/download without needing an account AFAIK if it is set to public.

Students often send links with papers to one another and clicking it just opens a page with the files that is set to be accessible available.

Sadly I can't do a wiki or set it all up now. Maybe I can help out with it after my exams. It will just take too much time for the first while to get it all sorted and organised and set up properly and then to write a wiki. Maybe the wiki can be sticky'd then...

User

Guys, no offense meant and I don't want to be a party pooper... but isn't/wasn't that the idea behind this section:

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/foru...s-or-robberies

?

My point is this: these things and/or initiatives have been fielded before, and then they always just peter out.

Not because we don't believe in the cause but just because life happens.

What I suggest is to rather piggy-back on that existing sub-forum (which IMO was created for the same reasons) by punting it and moving threads there, rather than to invent another thing that most people will just forget about in a week's time.

Then, yes, we need a 'champion' that will sacrifice time to collate and follow up on all of this data in his/her free time.

The OP seems keen...

User

Quote Originally Posted by JS4 View Post
    Guys, no offense meant and I don't want to be a party pooper... but isn't/wasn't that the idea behind this section:

?

My point is this: these things and/or initiatives have been fielded before, and then they always just peter out.

What I suggest is to rather piggy-back on that existing sub-forum (which IMO was created for the same reasons) by punting it and moving threads there, rather than to invent another thing that most people will just forget about in a week's time.

Then, yes, we need a 'champion' that will sacrifice time to collate and follow up on all of this data in his/her free time.

The OP seems keen...
    Agreed.

User

?

The OP seems keen...
    I agree with you JS4. Thanks for pointing me at already existing material. I will integrate it on my list. I just watch these gfsa debates and my dentist costs are going up the way I grate my teeth I feel irritated, so I want to start doing something useful. Something productive for our side. I am not much for public speaking and I am not the most tech savvy. I just want to keep it simple. For example with this topic of police arms used, I just have two documents. One with links to articles and one with the actual articles.

Like you say, life happens. A massive, all inclusive, continuing effort to contribute to a central integrated living database is unlikely. But my simple list will grow and be available.

I read the news everyday. 5 minutes to copy & paste, job done and I will feel that I have something useful to contribute (not just outrage)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast