Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Fired primers looking strange on 5.56 x 45 ammo

You have ammo that is dangerously overpressure. Not only do you have 'cratered primers' and the brass on the head flowed into the ejector and extractor areas in the bolt.

Just a little more pressure and you would have an AP mine.

User

Reviving this old thread, because my Dashprod is doing exactly the same. Tried different propellants, different loads, different primers, all with the same results. Only improvement is when I load ridiculously low charges that hardly cycle the SAR. I tested the same loads in my Vector H5, and absolutely no problems there, so its not a pressure problem.

I have narrowed down the problem to being an inherent defect in headspace and/or (as Peter Wells suggested) an over-large firing pin hole. I manufactured a thicker firing pin that closed the hole better and have seen an improvement, but the problem persists. Will appreciate any advice. I' thinking of replacing the bolt, but from some internet research it seems AK-type bolts are not interchangeable and need to be fitted with a new barrel. Comments?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawagga View Post
    Reviving this old thread, because my Dashprod is doing exactly the same. Tried different propellants, different loads, different primers, all with the same results. Only improvement is when I load ridiculously low charges that hardly cycle the SAR. I tested the same loads in my Vector H5, and absolutely no problems there, so its not a pressure problem.

I have narrowed down the problem to being an inherent defect in headspace and/or (as Peter Wells suggested) an over-large firing pin hole. I manufactured a thicker firing pin that closed the hole better and have seen an improvement, but the problem persists. Will appreciate any advice. I' thinking of replacing the bolt, but from some internet research it seems AK-type bolts are not interchangeable and need to be fitted with a new barrel. Comments?
    Are replacement bolts not available from Dave Sheer?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I am not at all familiar with Dashprod, so am asking, not stating.

Are Dashprod chambers maybe too tight?

Are Dashprod chambered for 5,56 x 45 NATO or for .223 Rem? They are the same until they are not, and then you get problems with 5,56 x 45 in .223 chambers.

User

I had the same type of thing happen in my LM with soft Boxer primers. Mine had the larger diameter floating firing pin, with the somewhat flattened tip. The harder Berdan primed ammo had no issues.

Then Andy at LA arms found me a bolt with small diameter spring-loaded firing pin. The original snotty elastomer spring was replaced with a coil spring. With this bolt and pin there are no issues.

The bolt and pin on this Dashprod look very similar to the larger diameter pin from my LM. It will like harder primers more.

At a time when PMP ammo was still affordable and of decent quality, they sold 223 FMJ ammo in 2 variants (old blue/white 20-round packs). Boxer-primed and Berdan Primed. The boxer-primed box was fitted with a warning label stating that this ammo was not suited for use in an LM rifle. At the time, the larger diameter firing pin was still the standard item. So they also had the issue. Bear in mind that mil-spec 5,56 FMJ ammo is generally loaded fairly hot.

Having said that, the cases show other signs of overpressure, so do get the ammo fixed too.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

You don't think the firing pins are 'bouncing'? IE, the firing pin is rebounding and double-striking the primer after it has already fired and before the case is ejected.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Banned

In light of post 15, try magnum primers (CCI450) as they have thicker cups that might not cause the problems.

User

I have this problem with my reloads with no other signs of pressure, no issue with factory Norinco or PMC. I have only tried Ginex SRP so far but my research indicates that their cups are too thin. I think I will try S&B SRP when I find some.

Banned

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2