Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Common Genet in suburban areas

Just woke up from stuff falling over in my en suite bathroom and upon investigation found a somewhat terrified Common Genet (Afrikaans: Kleinkol Muskejaatkat). It finally managed to find a way to the window through which it entered while I tried to retrieve a camera. I'm much relieved as I have to idea how to evict a Common Genet from a confined space 12:00 at night. I might struggle with your garden variety cat that time of day.

Now, while this does solve a couple of mysteries around the house like the grey "thing" my wife saw running around the house and the massive racket from the ceiling in the evenings when the little one gets a bath, it doesn't explain how a Common Genet finds itself about 2km from Menlyn in suburban Pretoria. Is it common? (Not the Genet smartasses, the occurrence of one well within city limits.) Obviously it will keep rodents at bay but will it damage anything if left in the ceiling? It doesn't appear aggressive, despite our meeting in the small bathroom so what's the risk, if any, to my family, including my 6 month old daughter. Should I need to get rid of it, how? Would seem a pity killing it, I rather like having some natural rodent deterrent around. Not sure how you'd can catch a smart critter like that. I also have no idea where it gains access to my roof. Not yet anyway but frankly, I'm fascinated by this little creature now and will find out.

(Oh, I do own the most useless Jack Russels around, they won't catch it if it lies down and offers a throat... But I love my city dogs nonetheless)

User

Default Re: Common Genet in suburban areas

He/she will mostly keep to herself. Really harmless little cats! Beautiful animals though!!!

You wont have a problem with rodents or bats or some insects for a while and birds will not make nests inside your roof or gutters if you have some.
    Whatever you do, please don't kill it. They are only really active at night.
    He/she wont do anything to your baby except maybe stare at the child from a dark corner in the distance! But then again, it has probably done that to your family for a while now ;-)

Will have no problems with your pets as the Genet will just run away.
    So nothing really bad will come from this rare little animal you have there. Enjoy it.
    AND TAKE PHOTOS!!!!!!

Friends of mine have one by them and he has been living there for 3 years now. They have made the mistake of putting food out. Now they have a new pet. People love having them as pets.

However if you want the Genet to move out of the roof then find a nice tree in your yard. Install something like an owl box and it'll move it there in no time.

User

This is quite common they occur all over jhb and pta quite a issue at the zoos as they come in and kill captive birds bit should not pose any issues to you

User

I've never heard of a genet hurt or attack a human.

Your baby will be ok.

+1 for a new home in the tree for the tenant.
    Smallish, dark, hidden type box.

Congrats on the beautiful addition to your family. (The baby and the genet)

User

I have the large-spotted genets in my garden here in Bryanston. Completely harmless to humans and pets (unless you have a hamster). Normally very shy and reclusive. In the early evenings I know they are around only because the bullbulls are screaming their heads off. They eat rodents, frogs and birds.

Please see don't discourage it from your house. Also - go on a drive in your neighborhood to prevent poisoning of rats etc. the genets are inadvertently killed off

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

We have a healthy population of Small Spotted Genet in Northcliff. Over the years the Staffies ahve killed a couple, but we have a large Genet now in residence at our house. About a meter long in total he likes using the skylight above our bed as his perch at night, from which to survey his kingdom. The Hadeda Ibis in the willow tree don't much like him, and the rats are no longer a problem.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Banned

If you do want him out of your roof use red pepper - it might be enough of an irritant to make it look for an outside shelter.

User

Have had one in our stables at night.
    In Lanseria area

User

We have a genet and some bush babies prowling our property at night.

We never could understand how our ducks disappeared with gates closed, gate locked and reinforced, but it made sense after the genet was spotted. It is not even scared of us. We have a timber deck between some old trees and it just moves through and sits above us looking at what we are having for dinner

The neighbor's rooster was quite the one morning. Later the day my wife found feathers with some skin and meat on the end lying in our erf - Thanks Genet!!

User

Thread necro alert! (But this is my own thread so sod off)

The genet(s) have now become an issue. Well, it might be bushbabys as well, not sure if the genet is still in residence but we saw a bushbaby outside one night and we now have multiple critters in the ceiling. Genet brood or bushbabies, anyone's guess. I wasn't too perturbed by my wife complaining of a bad smell every now and then until tonight. Piss dripping through the ceiling of our living room while my wife and I were having a glass of wine resulted in a sudden rapid change in my opinion.

So, the critters (whether bushbabies or genets) need to make like Elvis and leave the building. I have some wood with which to make a decent "owl box" but would appreciate some advice. What would be an appropriate size? What size entrance hole? Once that's up in a tree (several white stinkwoods to choose from as a placement) I'm left with two problems: The first is how to convince them to leave. Someone suggested red pepper as an irritant. Other opinionms would be nice. One limitation I'm dealing with is that I have a flat corrugated roof so space between ceiling and roof is about 400mm. It severely restricts access, at least for man-sized humans. Pretty much have to remove roof sheets if I want access and the inevitable result will be roof leaks afterwards...

Second problem is sealing off entrances. I know of at least two places where clever critters can access my roof space. I'll probably have to do a thorough job of inspecting for more. What size opening can these critters squeeze through? And I need ideas to know for certain they are out before I seal the entrances (I know about). Practical ideas on that check other than waiting until the roof cavity is quiet for a week plus?

Meanwhile, I'm having more wine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast