Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Common Genet in suburban areas

Good luck dealing with this issue, bud.

We had a similar issue at a house in the Lowveld (but with Dwarf Mongooses living in the roof).

My suggestion would be to block up a bunch of areas in the roof where a draught can get in, leave a large exit place and then put a few of the green mozzie coils which you light in the roof. NB. Be sure to put them on something (like a large plate etc) so that there is no risk of starting a fire in the roof!!!

This worked with the Mongooses and should, I suspect, make all critters living in your roof head out (if you leave a large exit place it also shouldn't harm the animals).

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Common Genet in suburban areas

Was also going to suggest smoking them out - the mozzie could suggested by Tayls is a great idea. Regarding the Owl Boxes. If you contact the EWT I think they have a program that supplies our offers advice on owl boxes. edit: Here you go... http://ecosolutions.co.za/owl-box-project and: http://www.radicalraptors.co.za/documents/owlbox-june2011.pdf

User

Pictures are a GS requirement!

User

I have seen a guy feeding them condensed milk in a small bowl fixed to a branch next to a box - apparently he lured them there and they moved in. Been there for years

Good luck

User

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    Pictures are a GS requirement!
    These guys are elusive. I'e only ever once seen the genet and that was the incident in the OP, almost 3 years back now. My wife has also only seen it once. Likewise with the bushbaby, only saw it once while it was making its way across a telephone line in my backyard. A long period with absence of critters in my roof since that 2014 incident obviously contributed to not seeing anything. Yes, I've tried trail cameras without success.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    These guys are elusive. I'e only ever once seen the genet and that was the incident in the OP, almost 3 years back now. My wife has also only seen it once. Likewise with the bushbaby, only saw it once while it was making its way across a telephone line in my backyard. A long period with absence of critters in my roof since that 2014 incident obviously contributed to not seeing anything. Yes, I've tried trail cameras without success.
    I know how elusive they are. Just stirring.......

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    Please ensure that you know the legal way of lawfully serving and executing an eviction notice.
    You have a rental contract, right? If not they may well claim squatting rights and if they are second generation squatters and you have not given them any notice before this is going to be a long process.
    Best invest in a few buckets for the urine in the mean time. Oh and change to cocktails with umbrellas instead of the wine...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Was also going to suggest smoking them out - the mozzie could suggested by Tayls is a great idea. Regarding the Owl Boxes. If you contact the EWT I think they have a program that supplies our offers advice on owl boxes. edit: Here you go... http://ecosolutions.co.za/owl-box-project and: http://www.radicalraptors.co.za/docu...x-june2011.pdf
    Thanks for those links. I can easily construct something like the closed box in the second link.

User

For genets a small trapdoor cage with a chicken in a compartment should work. When they come into ny hen house i set the remains of the dead fowl in a caracal trap cage and usually catch the offending genent in a night or two. You can then relocate it to your mother inlaws or wherever you deem appropriate.

User

Didn't Skaaphaas say you have to chase these things naked? I cannot remember why, exactly, but I'm almost sure there was a thread about that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast