Default The .357 Magnum for hunting...?

Hello guys, I would appreciate some information, advice and other remedial input...

I have managed to get one of my dream handguns, a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Magnum. It has a 6 1/2 inch barrel. I would like to hunt with this revolver, but I understand that this is not a decision to be lightly taken!

I would like my fellow 'gunsiter's' to let me know what they consider this cartridge suitable for, bullets and loads they recommend. I am going to work up my own loads and put in a heck of a lot of practice before I actually go hunting. So this is the first step of this journey...

Thanks in advance!

User

Default Re: The .357 Magnum for hunting...?

My first choice for a hunting handgun is a 44 Mag. Mine is a Super Redhawk with 7,5" barrel. I believe it is more versatile and capable than a 357. But I also own a 357 GP100 6". While it will never be a 44, it does have it's attributes.

Your Black Hawk was built on the same frame as the 44 version, so it is a heavy 357, giving you enough heft to dampen the shakes, and enough steel to contain the hottest loads. You are also not likely to ever wear it out. They are great guns.

My choice of hunting loads would be either a Hornady 180 gn XTP over a max load of S265, or a 180 - 200 gn cast lead SWC, over a decent load of the same powder. These loads should be good for most medium sized game (up to kudu kows?), with proper shot placement. The XTP will give good expansion, while the SWC will give better penetration on the tougher animals. For smaller game and practise, you can use any 150 to 158 gn bullet, SWC, JSP or CMJ. I would load them with MP200, as it burns cleaner and will cost less per shot. As hot loads are not really needed, you could also use 38 Spl cases, with the lighter bullet / load combination. Just keep them far away from people with 38 Spl revolvers...

I have big hands, so the standard grips on a Black Hawk do not suit me all that well. Hogue makes a nice rubber grip, that fits me much better. You might want to consider that option.

While kudu's have been hunted with a 357, your margin of error is not great. So practise, practise, practise, untill you can hit the correct spot from the desired distance. Then limit yourself to shots not further than half that distance. When using a handgun, we have to take extra care, to not wound an animal.

User

I've hunted Impala with my GP100 .357 Mag. 158gr XTP over 9gr MP200, and 180gr XTP over 8gr MP200. The second load I wont use again, will rather try S265.

The 158gr bullet works fine for Impala. I wont hunt larger animals with a .357. Maybe a Kudu cow with 180gr bullets from my Rossi lever gun, but there you can push velocity a bit.

Thanks for the information A-R, much appreciated!

I have already fitted some Hogue grips without actually using it much. They feel great! A BH in .44 Mag would have been first prize, but there is nothing stopping me from getting one later...finding one might be difficult!

I have hunted a heck of a lot with rifles, but ever since starting IPSC, I have this desire to get handguns and now start hunting with them as my handgun skills have improved a bit.

It is my intention to hunt impala with it and see if the bug bites, them I am going to look for a .44. What do you think of PMP 158gr JSP/JHSP's? Do you cast your own bullets?

Thanks again for the advice!! Much appreciated!!

User

Quote Originally Posted by BrassFerret View Post
    Thanks for the information A-R, much appreciated!

I have already fitted some Hogue grips without actually using it much. They feel great! A BH in .44 Mag would have been first prize, but there is nothing stopping me from getting one later...finding one might be difficult!

I have hunted a heck of a lot with rifles, but ever since starting IPSC, I have this desire to get handguns and now start hunting with them as my handgun skills have improved a bit.

It is my intention to hunt impala with it and see if the bug bites, them I am going to look for a .44. What do you think of PMP 158gr JSP/JHSP's? Do you cast your own bullets?

Thanks again for the advice!! Much appreciated!!
    Hi

I am in the same situation as you. I have just got a 6" taurus 357 revolver and would like to develope loads for hunting.

I took it to the range yesterday just to make sure everything is working well.
    1 chrono'd 158 gr JSP PMP factory loads and got 1380 fps. This an energy of 668fpe which is very quite hot for 357 revolver loads. I have read about 158 gr JSP bullets performing well and giving good penetration on game. In one of the posts I read someone was getting 1400fps with 158 gr PMP JSP using 9.0 gr MP 200. This is 0.5 gr higher than Somchem's maximum load so approach this this care and work up from lower charges. You don't want to damage your revolver or even worse yourself.

User

Speak to T-stone, there was a picture with him after shooting a buck with his model 19 .357

Thanks for the info LoopSoosStroop
    The ballistics between MP200 and S265 look very similar...in the Somchem manual. I see there are some posts on the subject I am inquiring about...I just wanted more info.

Thanks and have a great holiday!!

User

For the longer barrels (6"-8" and lever guns), S265 will give more legs.

In my 6" GP I'll just run the 9gr MP200 158gr XTP load. 1300 fps, low average deviation and very accurate.

For my Rossi lever I still have to work something up.

User

I hunt with a 4" .357 mag and have shot springbok, fallow deer and warthog. The warthogs and fallow deer were killed with 150 and 170 gr SWC bullets, hand loaded to slightly lower than maximum Somchem loads. The one springbok I shot was killed with a PMP 158 gr JSP factory load. All three bullet types killed well and gave full penetration.

For game up to 100 kg's the .357 work well, keep the ranges short and practice a lot from field positions before hunting. Your stalking, hunting and shooting skills are going to be much more important than bullet selection or a difference of 100 fps in velocity.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BrassFerret View Post
    I suppose the PMP factory loads, JSP and JHP, should work well on impala, and anything smaller.

Yes, I cast my own. That makes practise more affordable, and I also hunt with flat-nosed hard-cast lead bullets. I have just not acquired a mould for a heavy .357" (+/- 200gn) SWC or FN bullet yet. I do have a new mould for a 200 gn with a small meplat, intended for .358" rifle applications, that I want to try.

On a side note, I find that "practical" style shooting, does my hunting accuracy no good. IPSC (and similar) is fast, the scoring areas big and ranges fairly close, and you shoot lots of shots. In hunting, you take up a stable position, often rested, and squeeze of a single, well aimed shot at a far-off animal, with small vitals. So, after shooting an IPSC match, I have to practise a lot, to "reprogram" my mind to a hunting marksmanship state.