User

Default Gas Stove And Regulations

I would be pleased if someone can provide some clarity on the regulations in regards of having a gas stove withe 9kg gas cylinder inside a flat.It is my understanding that this would not require a certificate.It is only when installing large gas cylinder outside and installing pipes to bring gas from outside that instalation and certification is requierd?

User

Hi im a registered gas installer you are allowed up to 14 kg tank inside but not directly under the stove if your pip needs to go thru a cupboard it must be sleeved pipe copper or composite pipe and it must have a compliance certificate

Default Re: Gas Stove And Regulations

The compliance issues are somewhat ridiculous, other than some of the points that relate to pipes etc. My advice is to just get someone reputable in who knows what to do and just smile and wave.

User

Default Gas Stove And Regulations

I would suggest you confirm if certificate is needed and comply if required. If not, your insurance will flip you the bird when things go pear-shaped.

Our neighbours' house burnt 4 months ago due to gas issue. We've subsequently complied and yes, it's a pain in the arse, esp in Western Cape where you are allowed less gas on your premises than elsewhere in SA.

Your call.

User

GG it will depend on the local by-laws but most will allow 9kg in a flat or 19kg in a house and a total of 100kg on site. You cannot have the cylinder directly beneath the hob / in the same cupboard space as the hob, and you cannot have a flexible hose passing between cupboards without sleeving the penetration, this is to prevent gas leakage into the cavities between cupboards. This is all found in the SANS 10087 part 1, which although you may not need to register your installation with the local authority , you still need to comply with as per the building regulations. If you need an installer look at www.lpgas.co.za they are the registering body for gas installers.

User

And just check the small print on your home insurance. Mine had lots about distances from open windows and drains etc. I ended up welding the window shut.

User

Thanks for all of the inputs.

I think the safest option would be to get approved instaler and to get the certification.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedoo View Post
    Hi im a registered gas installer you are allowed up to 14 kg tank inside but not directly under the stove if your pip needs to go thru a cupboard it must be sleeved pipe copper or composite pipe and it must have a compliance certificate
    This^^^

The compliance is a lot about rules and regulations... gas bottles certain distances from windows,drains/gas lines through walls/cupboards, correct type of copper piping etc. The plumbing is not rocket science, but complience with the regulation is crucial - especially if something goes wrong, your insurer WILL ask for the compliance certificate. Rather be safe! (I went for about 2 years with a "temporary" installation, but always felt uneasy about it)