Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Default BASS EXTERMINATION

I heard that there was something on 50/50 about a new substance/toxin that is bass specific and aimed at clearing rivers of this species. Can't find anything on the interwebs. Anyone have any details ?

User

Default Re: BASS EXTERMINATION

Following this

I highly doubt it that there exist any toxin that is THAT species specific ... don't think we are that advanced yet in our development of chemicals.

In any case, as far as I know the conservation authorities have also seen the light and moved away from implementing their ambitions plan to rid all our water bodies of exotic fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistix View Post
    I highly doubt it that there exist any toxin that is THAT species specific ... don't think we are that advanced yet in our development of chemicals. In any case, as far as I know the conservation authorities have also seen the light and moved away from implementing their ambitions plan to rid all our water bodies of exotic fish.
    Agree. Every time man has attempted to manipulate nature with an introduction of chemicals or other species, he has bitten off way more than he could chew.

Banned

On the contrary. They are seeing more light in the W Cape, with reintroduction of Clanwilliam y fish and others indigenous species while working on control and eradication of vermin like carp and bass, in the Oliphants and tributaries.

eradication of vermin like carp and bass, in the Oliphants and tributaries
    Currently the only realistic way to clear any body of water of alien fish is to first kill ALL fish in that system and then hope you got all the aliens. Then you start by introducing the indigenous species and hopes that your "clean" system does not get recontaminated.

Realistically I just cannot see this happening as described by some conservationists ...

Banned

The aliens are here to stay - trees wasps and fish. There is just no way to get rid of them completely. Just no way.

You omitted the Zimbabweans, Nigerians etc

User

Quote Originally Posted by M1 View Post
    I heard that there was something on 50/50 about a new substance/toxin that is bass specific and aimed at clearing rivers of this species. Can't find anything on the interwebs. Anyone have any details ?
    Rotenone (?) Can be used in small enclosed waterways to kill all fish in an area. E.g. the Ratelspruit in the Cederberg. There is a stretch protected by a waterfall. Then the river is restocked with indigenous fish.
    You cannot use it in a dam like Sterkfontein too much water volume. There we just kill bass as we catch them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M1 View Post
    Hand grenades would be plenty fun... Jokes aside, will be following this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast