User

Default AMNESTY PERIOD 2010

I received the following e-mail last night:

Great News!!

Great news for those people who missed the re-licensing deadlines. The Minister has agreed to allow those firearm owners who missed the deadline of license renewals "to apply afresh for a firearm licence to possess such firearm".

"In light of the declared Amnesty, and the closure of the transitional period of the renewal of firearm licences, the Minister of Police has publicly announced that firearm owners with licences, permits or authorizations issued in terms of the Arms and Ammunition Act. 1969 (Act No. 75 of 1969) who had not applied to renew such firearm licences, permits or authorizations in terms of the Transitional Provisions of the Act, may apply for the licencing of such firearms in terms of the Act during the Amnesty period (ie between 11 January 2010 and 11 April 2010)".

"Such persons must comply with all the provisions of the Act applicable to new firearm licence applications".

"The above applicants will not be required to hand in their firearms at the police station concerned. The firearm licences issued in terms of the repealed Arms and Ammunition Act. 1969 are valid and legal due to an interim order issued by the North Gauteng High Court, Pretoria which effectively allow these firearm owners to possess their firearms legally."

"Where the applicant do not possess a competency certificate, she/he must apply for a competency certificate in accordance with the Act. Such applicant must undergo the prescribed training and practical test regarding the safe and efficient handling of a firearm as well as the prescribed test on the knowledge of the Act".

As you can see from the above information, the application will be dealt with as a new application, but the applicant may keep possession of their firearm while the application is pending.

Before anyone hands in a legal firearm or thinking about it,there seems to be another route.

PLEASE DO NOT PLAY THEIR GAME AND HAND IN YOUR FIREARMS,YOU WILL STILL
    REGRET IT DEARLY IN FUTURE !!!!!!!!!

User

Does the FCA allow them to do this or are they just making up law as they do along? Again they are trying to get as many people into the FCA before the SA Hunters case goes ahead. If they can get rid of all the old licenses then that case would be pointless or am I missing something?

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

I think those who haven't bothered to relicense who want to keep their guns would do well to take advantage of this. If the SA hunters case doesn't go our way they would be left high and dry and have to start from step one.
    Last edited by BigT; 13-01-2010 at 07:37.

User

Again the FCA proves to be a piece of legislation which seems to be able to be interpreted in many different ways, depending on CFR's objectives. Whether this amnesty is being used to get guns (illegal or not) out of circulation, to bring more people under the control of the FCA or to get illegal guns off the street is irrelevent. The fact remains that serious admin issues still prevent the FCA from being implimented. That needs to be addressed by the pro-gun lobby. As far as the current court cases go, my question still remains - and I have not yet been able to get an answer - what happens if they do go in favour of the pro-gun lobby. Will these guys honestly go back to the status quo pre FCA or will we have another piece of harsher law coming into play. As musch as I detest the FCA and what it does to me owning firearms, some finality is needed so we can go forward.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Will these guys honestly go back to the status quo pre FCA or will we have another piece of [B
    harsher law[/B] coming into play.
    This is excactly what I am afraid of as well !!

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by farmer-el View Post
    As musch as I detest the FCA and what it does to me owning firearms, some finality is needed so we can go forward.
    Farmer, the only way to bring anything to finality is to test elements of the law in court. a) this is expensive, b) very few 'pro-gun' organisations seem to have the nuts to do this, and c) the State avoids creating precedent by actually appearing in court like a vampire avoids garlic and villagers with pitchforks.

So far SA Hunters and GOSA are the only organisations to chuck their hats in the ring. SAGA is still Hors de Combat, although we do have hope that they may come to the party in the future.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Banned

Think VERY carefully about using this amnesty.
    Almost certainly, what you will be doing is signing acknowlegement that you have committed an offence, and are applying for amnesty for it (failed to relicence)
    Therefore you are adding a black mark to your name and asking for amnesty to apply for a (new) licence.
    New licences are very easy to decline. And even if/when you get it, what is the consequence of having that acknowledgement of guilt by your name?

The amnesty is till 11 April, hopefully the court applications are finalized by then, and ppl have no need to take this offer up.

Personally I think it is a trap, and is the very last thing you should consider. I hope someone proves me wrong.

USP

User

Quote Originally Posted by USP View Post
    Think VERY carefully about using this amnesty.....
    Personally I think it is a trap, and is the very last thing you should consider. I hope someone proves me wrong. USP
    Uh uh, not very likely USP, far more likely to be proven RIGHT actually. Lets briefly recap SAPS's /CFR's history highpoints; The FCA was only implemented in June 2004 right? How many licenses were issued by CFR from December 2003, I'll tell you, diddly squat, ask any dealer. (Bear in mind that at this particular period in history they were issuing roughly 13,000 per month on annual average; source CFR themselves). Meaning that CFR implemented the FCA all on their own. Now, to bring you up to date; two High Court Judges declared last year that the FCA was -shall we say- 'suspiciously unconstitutional' and that all the old licenses were still valid until the matter goes before the ConCourt. What does CFR do, they just gave us all their middle finger and destroyed over 80,000 handed-in firearms in case more people go and ask for their weapons back.

So, in summary then, NOTHING that CFR/ S&S/ or anyone in authority tells you to do, is in YOUR interest, only their own. Finished and Klar.

On a more positive note, a big round of applause to all the G/S ers that posted to the rebekah Kendal (IOL) article 'Shooting Blanks'.

Bloody good show everyone. (Free Glock .45's may be collected on your way out -you wish.)

M_tu@BGOASA