Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Iron Fist From The Sea

Recently finished this book.

Absolute great read.

User

Recce Story night event last night was really good fun - they've done a print re-run of the Iron Fist:

http://www.jonathanball.co.za/delta-...78-1988-detail

User

DR - If your son gets into the Royal Marines he will get a chance to study for a degree of his choice courtesy of the UK Govt. One of the perks but don't let him get any tattoos - a very limiting move in the UK military.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    True words...My son just finished Matric and was due to go to Tukkies to study. He has since changed his mind and is now applying to join the Royal Marines...he reckons that he will study when he finishes 3-5 years in the Marines. This was his own choice and he is doing it for the reasons stated above...he reckons his generation are a bunch of "soft cocks" and he wants to challenge himself (I think he just likes the "toys" they get to play with!!).

I also had the honour of meeting Wynand Du Toit and having a few beers with him, tough bugger indeed he has a story to tell of his time in captivity ...also ride bikes with the ex 2IC and ex OC of 4 Recce. Good ,solid gentleman they are!! I still need to read the book!

User

Peter , yup he made it and is now a serving Royal Marine Commando , proud of the young man to say the least. It is interesting to see now when he comes back on leave...regardless of the fact he is a fit and tough young man now at 21yrs old when you see him socializing with his peers that he was at school with he stands head and shoulders above them from a maturity and mental strength point of view....the direct result I believe from soldiering. It creates responsibility, maturity and mental strength.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    Peter , yup he made it and is now a serving Royal Marine Commando , proud of the young man to say the least. It is interesting to see now when he comes back on leave...regardless of the fact he is a fit and tough young man now at 21yrs old when you see him socializing with his peers that he was at school with he stands head and shoulders above them from a maturity and mental strength point of view....the direct result I believe from soldiering. It creates responsibility, maturity and mental strength.
    I wasn't aware that South Africans can apply for the Royal Marines ? Could you PM me where I could research this?
    My son is about to fly over and apply for the French Legion..Pm me, tx

User

Some roles have stricter nationality and residency requirements than others for security reasons, but in general you can join the Royal Marines if you are:

• A national of the United Kingdom or Ireland
    • A Commonwealth citizen who has lived in the UK continuously for the 5 years prior to applying, with no period of absence over 180 days (this does not apply to citizens of the Republic of Ireland, Malta and the Republic of Cyprus)
    • A dual Commonwealth or British national who is not required to complete national service (written evidence is required)
    • A British national living abroad

Soure: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers.../am-i-eligible

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    Some roles have stricter nationality and residency requirements than others for security reasons, but in general you can join the Royal Marines if you are:

• A national of the United Kingdom or Ireland
    • A Commonwealth citizen who has lived in the UK continuously for the 5 years prior to applying, with no period of absence over 180 days (this does not apply to citizens of the Republic of Ireland, Malta and the Republic of Cyprus)
    • A dual Commonwealth or British national who is not required to complete national service (written evidence is required)
    • A British national living abroad

Soure: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers.../am-i-eligible
    Yup Tango Sierra pretty much sums it up...a few years back you could apply with a South African passport (this was when they had a shortage of soldiers i think...), I know a few youngsters who are still currently serving in the Royal Marines that applied and got in with "green"passports back then. Unfortunately that has now changed, and the above applies. My boy has dual passports so it was not a problem. You can get in on a South African passport i believe...but only into "non combative" army roles. After 5 years service you can then transition to a combative unit. The foreign Legion is also a good option, and I have a few mates that have gone that route and another mate or two whose kids are currently serving in the Legion. The Legion is not what it was back in the 60's/70's....its a very professional and well run unit now. You can get in with a South African passport no problem...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2