Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: MODERNISED STEYR AUG A3 Z

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    I'd be wary until the supply of spare parts and mags was well established but there was a thread last year sometime about mags.
    Thanks KBK. Makes sense. Bit dicey if parts would be an issue for your main comp gun...

Caliber conversions need own licences. This is useually a different barrel at least ( a licensable part).

User

Quote Originally Posted by PistolBoy View Post
    Caliber conversions need own licences. This is useually a different barrel at least ( a licensable part).

TX.

User

Have you shot it with the case deflector fitted yet? Does it damage the brass any more than standard operation?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    Have you shot it with the case deflector fitted yet? Does it damage the brass any more than standard operation?
    No not yet. Will do so this weekend.

Standard setup has the brass impact on the stock rearwards of the ejection port. No brass damage. Shooting support shoulder has brass hitting my face - one can endure that under survival use but it is very inconvenient when the rifle is used for sport or training for example. I have to say that even with the brass hitting my face it did not cause any malfunctions.

I then installed a Manticore deflector which worked 100% and had no influence on brass condition but it is large and could move with robust use - not optimal. Also the size of the deflector sometimes caused lip colition when going support shoulder under pressure.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    The AUG should work well for DMG. From what others have told me it is one of the better bullpup guns around. The AR may still be faster from an absolute ergonomic view, and I'd be wary until the supply of spare parts and mags was well established but there was a thread last year sometime about mags.

This rifle looks very well setup. Compact, handy, WML amd RDS with BUIS. I am so major jelly I isn't even funny.

Do you have the adjustable gas block for shooting suppressed? Have you seen the thread on that other forum about his AUG.
    I have a spares kit for the rifle but that said it is a rifle platform that is extremely low on maintenace and cleaning. I have read reports of very high round count users that has to do no maintenace on their rifles and did minimal cleaning. One issue that came up was the replacement of a piston spring by one user although the rifle can function without the spring.

The rifle is a 1977 marvel of design and execution.

The gas plug does not have a "supressor setting" but it works very well with a suppressor (I use a B&T). Redundant gas is purged right at the gas plug so it does not go back onto the at all. It purges with force - I can testify to that because I had my thumb over that gas purge apertures when I tested support shoulder firing and had strong hand forward - it felt like hammer hit my thumb btw. I changed to shooting support shoulder but without changing from my strong hand grip.

The AUG is a very soft shooter and it handles very very well. It is heavier than the typical AR but easier to support one handed against the shooting shoulder than a 14.5" or 16" AR due to the weight distribution.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    @Khumba - Any plans for a 9mm conversion kit? If you say did get one, would you need a separate licence for it?
    I will take a kit in heartbeat if it is available here.

User

Thanks for all the additional info, Khumba. Any ideas what the A1/A2's go for?

If some one wants one here you go: http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...682#post801682

Khumba, do you think the Suarez case deflector will work for dedicated left hand use?
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast