Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: MODERNISED STEYR AUG A3 Z

Quote Originally Posted by 47 View Post
    Khumba, do you think the Suarez case deflector will work for dedicated left hand use?
    I know that it does work

Not sure that it is still available for purchase though.

The other one that I also know to work is the Manticore model - much cheaper but the Suarez one is better.
    http://www.manticorearms.com/Brass-B...r-MA-200BK.htm

I replaced the Manticore on my rifle with the Suarez one.

For dedicated LH use I would ultimately do the conversion with the LH bolt. They are available in the USA and could probably with some effort be obtained from the local distributor of Steyr. Then add the Manticore for occassional RH use.

I can tell you hat the AUG is an absolutely awesome rifle. There is no other that I am aware of that can be dissabled as easily and quickly for security purposes and put back inot action than the AUG. It is utterly reliable with all types of ammo (SA mil surp, Indian mil surp, Barnaul, Norinco, PMP, DNL, S&B). It is the "softest" cycling MSR that I have shot to date (compared to several brands of DI ARs, piston ARs, ACR, LMs, AKs, Sig/Swiss Arms, Sig Sauer 556 etc). It si easy to clean - easier than all the others when you take it apart - 3 main components - barrel and receiver / bolt and carrier / stock. All done in about 5 seconds.

Thanks Khumba, appreciate it. In fact it was this thread and your pics that made me consider the AUG as an option for my needs.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any AUG products on the One Source Tactical website, and I'm not sure if a left handed Suarez case deflector is available, as I don't suppose the Suarez one is reversible. Thanks for the link to the Manticore model, it seems it is ambidextrous so will work well.

I agree on ultimately converting to a left hand bolt. I have searched some of the US websites, but very few seem to ship overseas unfortunately. I would also like to have a spare parts kit and of course a couple of mags, if I can find a US dealer that is willing to export.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

User

PM sent.

Got it, thanks Khumba!
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

User

I Have an AUG A1, and can second everything Kumba said a few posts back. The only two faults I can find with the rifle are mine has the fixed Swarovski 1.5 X optic, which, while fantastic glass, has a very unusual reticle and makes squeezing the rifles inherent accuracy a bit difficult. The other is a quick fix- the factory trigger is miserable ( no real trigger guard so it's made long and tough to mitigate NDs) a drop in trigger tamer, and that was fixed.
    one of my favourite MSRs, and 4decades ahead of it's time. Even if you don't like bull pups, this is the gold standard by which all of them are measured against, an awesome engineering feat to this day. Oh, and it's unbreakable it seems, even the polymer mags are tougher than most steel mags. I drove over one by mistake with a land cruiser and it's still running fine.
    sadly they have got pricy, and parts are scarce- although they don't need them often.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andy37 View Post
    I Have an AUG A1, and can second everything Kumba said a few posts back. The only two faults I can find with the rifle are mine has the fixed Swarovski 1.5 X optic, which, while fantastic glass, has a very unusual reticle and makes squeezing the rifles inherent accuracy a bit difficult. The other is a quick fix- the factory trigger is miserable ( no real trigger guard so it's made long and tough to mitigate NDs) a drop in trigger tamer, and that was fixed.
    one of my favourite MSRs, and 4decades ahead of it's time. Even if you don't like bull pups, this is the gold standard by which all of them are measured against, an awesome engineering feat to this day. Oh, and it's unbreakable it seems, even the polymer mags are tougher than most steel mags. I drove over one by mistake with a land cruiser and it's still running fine.
    sadly they have got pricy, and parts are scarce- although they don't need them often.
    Absolutely agree.

I also have the Trigger Tamer in mine and it makes the trigger pull very acceptable and the break crisp.

I see we have similar tastes and preferences on more than one rifle

Can you please make this thread dissapear before all the AUG A3's are taken before I get the moola together????

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Necropost I know, but I have gone and got myself an AUG, I’m looking to use it for IPSC shooting at Spartan Arms. I’ve kitted it out with a Burris 332 scope. I’ll be honest the buy was purely emotionally driven, I didn’t listen to the advice of “an AR will be a better option”, I fell in love with the rifle when I first fondled one about a year back and just NEEEDED one. Thank the Pope Hailstorm provides better support than the importers RE Mags by bringing in PMag AUG magazines, as I was seriously starting to sweat at the thought of purchasing a few, considering the average quoted price is close to 2K!

Now the question is; what spares should I get, and stash, and who can I get them from?
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

The AUG is a very low maintenance, clean running and tough gun.

I doubt that you will read about a kaboom in an AUG that dmaged the rifle. The receiver and chamber area are immensely strong.

I would say the only spares one would like to keep squirreled away in case of an unfortunate shoot with errant ammo would be the bolt assembly and supporting parts and a firing pin. Where to get them though is an issue. Hailstorm can try to order you a kit but no guarantee or promises on success.

From what I read the gas piston can operate without the little piston spring.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Ok thanks Khumba, I'll make a turn by the shop this week and come chat to you.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast