Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default South African Pin Shooting Federation Membership

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can help me.

Does one need to join SAPSF as a member to attend the shoots or can one just pitch up and shoot ?

I have bought a Smith & Wesson .357 Highway Patrolman, I'm going to use this for IPSC, but would also like to try my hand at Pin Shooting, thus I'd like to register as a member, and hopefully get an endorcement letter from SAPSF.

Regards,
    Danie

Default Re: South African Pin Shooting Federation Membership

Can pitch pay your money and shoot! No problem!

User

I asked the same to them at Huntex

No problem once or twice but then they will want you to join

User

Your competence and safety in handling firearms will be assessed by an RO. If he is satisfied that you are safe and will at least hit the berm :), you will be allowed to join the pin firing line. You will pay visitors' fees and typically be allowed to shoot up to two or three times before being required to join. You may be required to show you SAGA membership (for insurance purposes). Contact Cas at gautengpsa at gmail dot com for information about Gauteng Pin Shooting Association.

User

You can pitch up at any SAPSF affiliated club shoot. Nearest to you would be the Jhb guys who shoot at Cecil Payne in Roodepoort. Shoot a mail to Cas at gautengpsa at gmail dot com for more info.

Endorsements will only be issued to dedicated members who have met the minimum participation requirements. They do not want to get abused, you know, same as with any other shooting sport.

There is not currently a Pin Shooting Club in the Pretoria area. Seeing that there is a huge potential for such a club, I would encourage you to get the wheels rolling, to get this club started. You will soon get the needed help. Cas (above) will also be able to assist you here.

Nice rollie!

User

Thanks, will contact Cas.

Sorry, please educate me, why would I require SAGA membership and how much does it cost ?

I'm a member op SAPSA and NGPSA.

Quote Originally Posted by DRD View Post
    Sorry, please educate me, why would I require SAGA membership and how much does it cost ?
    It says why, right in the post.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    It says why, right in the post.
    Ok thanks.

@A-R, So it's the normal catch 22, I need the rollie to shoot Pin Shooting, but I first need to do Pin Shooting before I can get an Endorcement letter :) Anyways, all good, hopefully the IPSC endorsement letter will get it approved. Then I'll come and shoot at Cecil Payne with it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DRD View Post
    Ok thanks.

@A-R, So it's the normal catch 22, I need the rollie to shoot Pin Shooting, but I first need to do Pin Shooting before I can get an Endorcement letter :) Anyways, all good, hopefully the IPSC endorsement letter will get it approved. Then I'll come and shoot at Cecil Payne with it.
    Yes. But I suppose you do own a pistol already? If so, you can participate with that so long. You will also find most shooting clubs and members very accomodating w.r.t. loaning of guns (as long as you don't expect the ammo for free).

The rules of pin shooting allow you to compete up to nationals level, with only 2 handguns, i.e. a pistol and a revolver. These can be licensed under Sec 13 and 15. Only once you need more specialized FA's, will Sec 16 be needed. That is how many members started off.

Re the endorsement: You only need 1 endorsement anyway. If you add 2, next thing you know they want dual endorsements on every app...

You should also plan your dedicated status etc. well ahead. I have a few friends who have dual DSS (SAPSF and SAPSA). That gives you lots of options, but will keep you very busy over weekends, not that any of us regard shooting as a burden. But there is significant overlap between the 2 sport's FA requirements, so many competitors get by with only 1 DSS, but shoot in both sports.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Yes. But I suppose you do own a pistol already? If so, you can participate with that so long. You will also find most shooting clubs and members very accomodating w.r.t. loaning of guns (as long as you don't expect the ammo for free).

The rules of pin shooting allow you to compete up to nationals level, with only 2 handguns, i.e. a pistol and a revolver. These can be licensed under Sec 13 and 15. Only once you need more specialized FA's, will Sec 16 be needed. That is how many members started off.

Re the endorsement: You only need 1 endorsement anyway. If you add 2, next thing you know they want dual endorsements on every app...

You should also plan your dedicated status etc. well ahead. I have a few friends who have dual DSS (SAPSF and SAPSA). That gives you lots of options, but will keep you very busy over weekends, not that any of us regard shooting as a burden. But there is significant overlap between the 2 sport's FA requirements, so many competitors get by with only 1 DSS, but shoot in both sports.
    Thanks for the detailed response. Yes I already have DSS with SAPSA, I believe my 9mm Pistol is only good for topling over the pins and not clearing them off the table? Will wait till the wheelgun is licenced before I try Pin Shooting :)

How many rounds does one normally go through in a competition ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast