Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Mumble...Mumble...Credit Card Fraud...Mumble...Mumble

Have had lots of issues with fraud over the years. My favorite was having a new card used to buy electronics in the UK while the thing was still in the sealed envelope with me in sunny SA.

Do not know about you guys but every time a transaction goes through my bank account I get an SMS telling me the amount, the transaction and so forth. So it is pretty hard for me not to notice something weird going on.

On one occasion, when I purchased something "outside of my normal area of operations" I got a call from my bank saying that they had noticed a large purchase in an area where I do not normally make purchases and checking whether it was me a fraudster.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Do not know about you guys but every time a transaction goes through my bank account I get an SMS telling me the amount, the transaction and so forth. So it is pretty hard for me not to notice something weird going on.
    Only if it goes through my bank account, and that can be several days after the transaction, even a week.
    Larger transactions sure, but a couple of small ones I won't pick up.

User

Wife got an sms notification a month or two ago stating that her purchase had been successfull from a gardening centre...in Texas. We found this a bit strange as this was 10 PM and we were sitting at home having a glass of wine in SA. She immediately phoned and had her card blocked.

After some explanation the following day the bank eventually agreed that she could not have made the transaction, mainly as she could prove that she had not been anywhere near Texas, never mind not having left SA.

Bank eventually refunded her the money and she needed to get a new card.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post

On one occasion, when I purchased something "outside of my normal area of operations" I got a call from my bank saying that they had noticed a large purchase in an area where I do not normally make purchases and checking whether it was me a fraudster.
    I get SMS's only if the amount is larger than R100. I'm still waiting for these Uber transactions to show on my internet banking (which is strange as it has been almost a week!), but the call centre agent told me there were a bunch of smaller transactions. Maybe there were a bunch of small ones in a short time period, so Uber just processed them together as a single transaction later on.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4