Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Is it still a viable option to join the SAPS?

Thanks Tweedledee...you are a great help.

I will visit my local station sometime this week and let you guys know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_7 View Post
    Thanks Tweedledee...you are a great help. I will visit my local station sometime this week and let you guys know how it goes.
    Good luck dude. Let us know if you need any help.

User

I know a few policemen and to be honest I think it can be quite a cushy job in some cases, great medical, subsidies, training and advancement programs, lots of room for progress, pension, union, generous work schedules etc. I also think its near impossible to be fired based on the shit I have heard.

It's dangerous if you are out on the street but the street is not the only posting, there is admin and finance, logistics etc. I know someone who works in the K9 unit and it's very rewarding. I know someone who works at the courts and its a fairly bland job but he is home every day at 3pm. I also know people in finance and VIP unit. All sorts, it's a huge organization and ultimately I think it's a good prospect for any young person. You are going to have to pay your dues and you won't get anywhere without hard work but I think one can really make a good life for oneself in the force.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_7 View Post
    I am desperate to serve and have found it to be a calling in life
    Best of luck to you Chuck!!!

I'm an old guy now, but when I was a bit younger I felt compelled to answer that sort of calling. They were the most painful, hardest, miserable, best, finest days of my life, no regrets and only a few scars.
    I drink to your success

L

User

Chuck.

I have just come off duty now rather late but let me reply.

I am based at a unit an not affiliated to any station so I am not sure what the procedure is these days. AFAIK if it is still the same you will need to visit any station in your area and speak to the HRM office. Try and speak to the commander or who else might be available. They will guide you with the whole process and supply you with the application forms. Keep your drivers license and matric certificate handy as you will need this.

I am based at the Public Order Police unit and I know there is a recruitment drive on the go for all POP units as current force level actually need to almost double. Chances are good you might be thrown in with us if you are successful. (before 1994 POP was known as ABS-Afdeling binneland stabiliteit/ ISD-Internal stability devision. Ironicly before 1994 they had a similar recruitment drive...) Which will be a great thing. You will wear the red name badge then. The red badge are looked upon by other members as they know you dont just get one you earn one. It is rather elite. The same way us red badge members look up to the green name badge the taakies have. it is highly respected. Just makes you feel proud.

I wish you best of luck and go for it. Yes the pay is not as good as in the private sector but you have a stable job, salary, medical aid pension etc. But the passion for the job should be more than the pay etc. Its a calling. You will not get rich in the police. You will also laugh more than you cry. in the private sector it can be the other way around. at times. but follow your heart. and word of advice... Start getting fit now. The whole training structure is changing back to what it was. I believe the colleges are jacking things up again. Fitness and discipline. But by reading your first post you already sound mentally prepared with the right mindset!

Go for it!

User

All I can say is you guys have given awesome posts for the OP and he must do what his heart tells him to do! There is nothing worse than being in a job or career and thinking years down the line I should of or could of!

Good calling.

I don't always think the pay is as bad as always said. We all complain, as money is never enough.

The way I see it. Your clothing is given to you and paid for by state. If you add the clothing bill up of a normal private sector employee. Its quite high.(1000s a year)
    Good shoes can easily be close to R1000 alone. On this point I love Skecher shoes, theyre brilliant.

At one point police was picked up at homes. Not sure if they still do this. But that saves on costs. And if you posted where you live. You save tons.

Then during day its sometimes more quiet than in office. Where you work non stop.

And then we get to all the included benefits added to the package, medical and other subsidies.

And heaven forbid the nice vacation. Friends I know put in 3 days leave but are at home almost 2 weeks. Ok little bit shorter.
    But they work it out with there on and off times. And they get long stretches off.

If you add all of these. I don't really think the pay is all that bad.
    Constable at the bottom I think might be.
    But that's the way in any business if you start at the ground level.

As with most things in life, it will probably be what you make of it ... go and live your dream (calling?) and make the best of it while you are there.

All of the best and enjoy every second.

If I may give you my perspective, there are challenges and there are issues and the management at the top is political and if you do it for the salary, the perks, the medical or cause you think its a job then don't. In fact don't apply any other career field measurement to this. If however you want to go and find true brotherhood, true friendship and lock away criminals then go for it. Coz if this is your passion and you look deep into yourself and you can truly say that you want to lock away shitheads and share friendship with true brothers then all that other shit doesn't mean a thing! I look back to my brothers from college, from my first units and know that what we shared will never be found anywhere else. I also know that truly I can look at others and not see black or brown or white but blue! I left the permanent force because my salary could not meet my needs but not a day goes by that I don't miss it
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

User

Quote Originally Posted by WILDCARD View Post
    Start getting fit now. The whole training structure is changing back to what it was. I believe the colleges are jacking things up again. Fitness and discipline.
    Wow... that is good news

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast