Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Is it still a viable option to join the SAPS?

Thanks very much for all the positive feed back guys...I truly find it to be a calling in life for me and not just a job.

I am going to my local police station tomorrow and will let you guys know what happens.

I will take along with me...copies of ID, matric certificate, drivers licence and proof of residence.

Will keep you all up dated...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_7 View Post
    Thanks very much for all the positive feed back guys...I truly find it to be a calling in life for me and not just a job.

I am going to my local police station tomorrow and will let you guys know what happens.

I will take along with me...copies of ID, matric certificate, drivers licence and proof of residence.

Will keep you all up dated...
    AFAIK the current intake period is closed(learnt today). I would go through the motions anyway - either get a late application in or get first in line for the next intake. Keen to hear what happens.

User

Hi guys.

My only concern is, that is it still a viable option for a young (23 years old) white, South African to join and serve?
    Why would it not be viable for a young 23yo white South African to serve?

User

Yip, normal intake is closed for SAPS. If you are very lucky they might have some positions available after all the test and the grooming camps.

Your other option, if you like to be on the road is RTMC - Road Traffic Management Corporation.
    If rumor has it, they have a SWAT and K9 units being formed(if not already active) and also currently have a high speed unit (those white unmarked GTI's you see when you are travelling 160+).
    They also do recoveries for Tracker and pay is supposedly also very good. If I understand correctly, they are "above" Metro and more equal to SAPS in terms of "power".

Other option is Metro of course, they also have narcotics units that do undercover work etc.

But if your calling is for SAPS, just stick it out till next recruitment drive and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by EmuL8 View Post
    Yip, normal intake is closed for SAPS. If you are very lucky they might have some positions available after all the test and the grooming camps.

Your other option, if you like to be on the road is RTMC - Road Traffic Management Corporation.
    If rumor has it, they have a SWAT and K9 units being formed(if not already active) and also currently have a high speed unit (those white unmarked GTI's you see when you are travelling 160+).
    They also do recoveries for Tracker and pay is supposedly also very good. If I understand correctly, they are "above" Metro and more equal to SAPS in terms of "power".

Other option is Metro of course, they also have narcotics units that do undercover work etc.

But if your calling is for SAPS, just stick it out till next recruitment drive and good luck.
    there is fuckall difference in terms of "power" between SAPS, Metro or any other Policing Agency. There is only difference in terms of focus, jurisdiction, mandate and capability. We are all police members end of story! Within SAPS UC work is not like the movies you will be very carefully selected and you have to follow a CI career path. Also unlike the movies a defecti...ergh sorry a detective :-) does mainly paperwork. Don't get to caught up in all the units yet, unless you can go to POPs, cause riot cops are the coolest! ;-)
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

User

Quote Originally Posted by abhm View Post
    there is fuckall difference in terms of "power" between SAPS, Metro or any other Policing Agency. There is only difference in terms of focus, jurisdiction, mandate and capability. We are all police members end of story! Within SAPS UC work is not like the movies you will be very carefully selected and you have to follow a CI career path. Also unlike the movies a defecti...ergh sorry a detective :-) does mainly paperwork. Don't get to caught up in all the units yet, unless you can go to POPs, cause riot cops are the coolest! ;-)

What ^^ he said, was looking for the correct terms to use, hence the "power".. was actually trying to describe this:
    There is only difference in terms of focus, jurisdiction, mandate and capability

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tweedledee View Post
    AFAIK the current intake period is closed(learnt today).
    How would one find out when the next intake is?

I will go to the station tomorrow any way and see if they let me full out a form

User

How would one find out when the next intake is?

I will go to the station tomorrow any way and see if they let me full out a form
    It would only be announced closer to the time, probably end of the year.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tweedledee View Post
    It would only be announced closer to the time, probably end of the year.
    Thanks Tweedledee...I think that I will go to the station any way tomorrow and see what they say.

Hope they will accept my application (if they let me fill one out) and maybe put it in with the ones that are due for next intake.

User

Just an update guys.

I went to my local station today with a copy of ID, matric certificate, drivers licence and proof of residence (basically I had every thing needed except for the application form)

I went to the front desk and asked to speak to the HRM, the sergeant behind the desk asked if there was anything he could help me with.

I told him the whole story of me wanting to join up as a member of the SAPS and he told me that applications where closed (just like you guys mentioned) and that I should wait till they reopen.

I asked how would one know when the applications opened again and he just said look on the saps website?

So I am now at home wondering how WOULD you know when the applications open again?

Do they post it on their website or in the news paper and does any one know when they will open again? someone said near the end of year?

Thats about it for now, hopefully I will find out what time of year the applications open and I will be able to keep my eyes peeled on the SAPS website.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast