Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default best calibre for impala to small game

hey guys

what would be the best calibre, taking into consideration price for ammo and meat damage, for hunting impala right down the scale to even monkey and fowls!!!!!

thanx

User

I am no expert at all like most other guys on this site but I don`t think you will go wrong with 30CAL. (308 or 30-06).

You can load from 110gr (even lighter, I think 85gr) for monkeys and fowl, up to 200 - 220gr for Kudu and Eland.

I dont think you will find any other CAL that will be so versatile.

But, this is only my humble opinion.

thanx

i have got a 30 06. can use it for impala but
    was thinking something like a .243 or .222 or even a .22(not sure if the calibre is too small for things like duiker) for small game. like a vermin gun!!!! :)

User

.22 would actually be perfect

Sash x, .22 is deadly calibre but very marginal for Impala. Make no mistake it can do the job. I personally shot several hundred impala with .22lr whilst culling. Very few if any farmers will be happy with you to shoot at impala sized game witha .22. Its also illegal from hunting perspective. .243 is an excellent calibre choice and will also make an excellent varmint calibre with the right ammo, and is accepted for hunting all over for this sized animal. .223 would also be an excellent choice as the ammo is also cheaper and freely available. The .243 is probably a little more capable when going after bigger antelope.

I believe 222 ammo is a little scarce at times.

User

Bushboy,would .243 ammo be easily atainable? And also,how would difficult would it be to licence a rifle with scope and silencer?
    My uncle has a .22 with scope and we used to hunt impala with that. But that was before the arms act and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sash_X View Post
    .22 would actually be perfect
    Sash , a .22 is definitely not the correct caliber to recommend for hunting impala. You may be confusing it with a .223 222 or .22 hornet . Even the hornet isn't the best idea.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Try a 6x45 if you can find one.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Sash and Keegan, 243 ammo is, I believe and from what I have seen, widely available. It would probably easier to licence a 243 for hunting than .22lr. The scope and silencer (at present) do not form part of the firearm, and so do not need licencing. FrankH is right and altough it is possible to shoot Impala with 22lr, all the ones I shot were head shots 90% at night with a spot light. This was NOT hunting, it was culling and very different. Also a silencer will only suppress the muzzle blast, but as the round is supersonic (way over the speed of sound), there will still be a loud "crack" from the bullit. This is impossible to silence. The silencer does however help to mask where the shot came from and reduce felt recoil a little, not that recoil in these calibres is worth worrying about. A silencer is only truly effective with subsonic ammo.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast