User

Default Extractor Issues

Hi

Browning Hi Power 9mmP . Whether I shoot reloads or factory rounds it is jamming with every shot. The shell is not being extracted. The round fires, but the empty shell cause the jam.
    However, when i manually cycle it there are no problems. I thought its internal extractor was either worn or broken but why would i be able to manually cycle without problems.
    Anyone have any ideas please ?

Banned

Default Re: Extractor Issues

How old is the pistol? It could be worn springs.

User

Thanks, it is 20yrs old but has less than 2000 rounds through it. Do you mean the recoil spring ? It's the only spring i can think of thats in there, besides the trigger springs of course.

Banned

Yes, the recoil spring. It is advice from one of the acknowledged forum members (forgot which one!) to someone who asked a similar question. He basically said "Always replace the springs on an old/2nd hand pistol".

Another question: what exactly happens? Does the case stay in the chamber, or does it get stuck in the port of the slide?

User

It gets stuck in the slide port. new round cycles into the chamber, empty shell kinda half on top of it, the slide locks back and the empty shell is visible through the ejector port with the new round seated in the barrel.
    Thanks, i'll shop around for a spring. Cant be too expensive. Worth a try. I'll still keep an eye on this thread over the rest of the weekend in case anyone else has any other ideas, but thanks Ds J :-)

Banned

I know little enough as it is, actually hoping a few other guys chime in. They usually do to correct my mistakes

User

Dirty chamber.
    Limp wristing.
    Check that the extractor is not chipped, extractor tension(dirty, worn) could be an issue, but can't tell you how much there should be.
    Recoil spring.

You will just have to rule them out one by one.

Hi Seth. I have a CZ70 7,65mm that I inherited. Also old but few shots through it. I was the first one to shoot it in probably 30 years. It also gave me endless extraction problems (when shooting, no issues when cocking by hand). In the end I got some info and drawings from the net, took the whole thing apart too the last bit and cleaned it with solvent and a brush. Put it back together, oiled it well and had no problems since. All the nooks and crannies (also the extractor yaw) was dirty and clogged up with old sticky oil and dirt. I am convinced that was the problem. Maybe try the same? PS: If you do, watch out for the small bits - it's a bitch if you loose one.....

User

Good advice Chris, I think i'll give it a shot. Found an awesome step by step for disassembling my exact FA on youtube.
    Will give it a go. Thereafter i'll try a new recoil spring,
    Thanks Everyone for your input.