Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default Range report on custom .308 howa scout rifle

Hi guys want to share a bit about my experience with my custom .308 howa scout rifle Rifle specs howa 1500 .308 bull barrel.

barrel cut to 16" minox 1.5-8x32 scope la sports magazine conversion kit with 10rnd mags I have shot this rifle before on the range mainly doing some accuracy testing and I found that it did offer sub moa accuracy out to 300m (I have not tried further) I have also taken her hunting once and got a springbuck at 60m and a black wildebeest at 180m all in all the rifle handles very well.

This weekend though I got to play with her at Sas and boy did she perform well.

She weighs in at about 4kg while not to light she is a joy to carry even on the hike with all the other gear. After the hike I got to put her through her paces and managed 30 shots in the 4 minutes. These shots were taken from the kneeling position after the 3.2km hike in the blistering sun.

And I managed a 19/30 hit rate, not to bad in my book. The only issue I had was the rounds getting stuck in the mag, a quick "tap,rack" sorted it right out. After some down time we enjoyed some further rifle PT and again she performed remarkably well. With the scope on 1.5x I managed fast accurate shots at 50m.

She proved to be a joy to handle and manipulate. It would seem she is balanced really well and shooting her offhand was easy and enjoyable. I managed to keep up quite well with the other guys shooting msr's.

All in all she really is a beaut and I would do the conversion again. I really agree with Cooper: the one gun to have when you can only have one gun.

A short barrelled bolt gun with magazine capability really is a capable gun for anything.
    Last edited by camouflage762; 27-01-2015 at 18:24.