Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: PSE F-1 bow, upgrade or not?

I shoot at night using a headlamp, dont know what my bow speed is but can see when shooting next to a person with mine is alot slower. Im also using a wisker buisket as an arrow rest as I walk around ensuring the arrow stays in place.

Im quite new at this so thank you for all the respons will try it out next time

Until a bow can manage 700 fps +, you'll always have string'arrow'jump. Follow the advice given by Bowhunter and Djvier.

User

1st up frontal shots IMHO are a serious no go.

Not only is that kinda where an animals eyes are set, but the skeletal structure of antelope does not leave much margin for error.

I buy the fastest bow I possibly can, in an effort to launch the heaviest arrow possible at reasonable speed. This gives me Silence (Which is vital) and a huge amount of KE which is usually wasted 40-60 meters beyond most animals that it passes though. Its a nice to have if I clip a particularly hard bone etc

Speed is great 3D comps but not so much in the field where I personally limit my distances to 20M for Small jumpers and 30m for larger slower Game.(with larger vitals)

Apparently test have shown IIRC that an arrow will have to do in excess of 800 Fps to beat the jump of an impala at 20m. Not only is this feat not feasible, but the noise that will be generated by the bow will be rather unpleasant

As a point of interest, at a time I used feathers exclusively. They made one hell of a racket when passing through the air. Yet I hunted very successfully with them (in the dry, when wet they were useless !) Our tests, I will not go into detail, concluded that from behind the arrow, Archers perspective, the Feathers were quite audible. When the arrow passed you, they were loud, but on the way to you, you heard the bow, and not the arrow. Knowing this I had to make sure the arrow would not pass skittish game on the way to the intended targeted game.
    I dont use feathers anymore, life hard enough as it is

I shoot a 70 Lb Elite XL bow, 32" DL, 32.5" 625 grain arrow (complete) its super quiet and accurate and thats all thats important to me.
    IIRC which I doubt, I think its doing about 270 odd Fps

Should I then replace the arrow shafts i have now and get heavier ones, which one are good value and when I flech them again shoud it be straight fleched or with and angle

User

If you want to go heavier I would suggest Carbon Express Piledriver Hunter 450 shafts (13.1gpi). Fletched helical.

User

MUST be Helical

Yeti,i know of another bigfoot mofo with a dl like you ☺
    I'm a puny 31
    i take knives to a gunfight

Banned

I shoot a PSE vector 4 (year 2000). It shoots where I aim up to 25m. Good enough to kill small to medium game. This year I aquired a Bowtech carbon Knight (2014). To compare the 2 bows is like a VW Beetle compared to a modern sport car. The fact is both kill game. However the the PSE sounds like a 500 nitro express and the Bowtech is like a .22 rifle with a silencer, no one knows while I practice in the backyard. However, the Bowtech arrows (same) penetrate twice as far as the PSE. That means greater speed and greater kenetic energie (which is what kills and not speed.)

Speed help to shoot more accurate at longer distance (flatter trajectory). Try and silence the bow with everything you can like cat whiskers, limb dampers, heavy stabilizers and heavy arrows. Remeber to shoot when the animal is more relax and not looking in your direction. And yes speed will also help with shorter string jump movement.

User

Quote Originally Posted by LampiesG17 View Post
    I think I need more speed because I hunt duikers and their reaction is so quick so I struggle to get a good shot.

Bow is used for duikers and small game like tarrentalle

I use 31inch 10.1gpi arrows with 3inch flechers and 125grain broadhead

My broadheads and field points are 125grain

I shoot mostly on 70pounds but when shooting indoors 60 pounds

My drawlength is 30inch
    The Duiker is by far the most difficult animal to hunt..it has lightning reflexes...no matter what speed/bow you use...it still will be a daunting task to have a successful shot every time...you need to wait for the shot..otherwise it will be a miss or wound scenario....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2