R.I.P.

Default Ruger 10/22 Takedown - shifting zero

I purchased a 10/22 Takedown last year.

I fitted a 4-12x Hawke scope using the rail that was supplied with the gun. The scope was previously fitted on a .22 Anschutz and I could reliably shoot 1 inch groups at 50m with it.

On the Ruger I'm experiencing a shifting zero. It will group okish (1" @ 20m) and then suddenly the zero will jump by as much as 4" over a distance of 20m.

This happens WITHOUT taking the rifle apart, or bumping the scope. It is erratic but can happen just with normal handling (e.g. fitting a new magazine and chambering a round).

To eliminate the scope and/or rings being the problem, I fitted a red-dot directly on the rail and took the rifle out to test. Same result.

The rail is on nice and tight, with thread-lock, and the barrel is firmly fitted using the fastener as described in the user manual.

I can understand a small shift in zero if you actually take the gun apart and put it back together again, but this much variance without taking the gun apart seems excessive to the point of me thinking something is wrong with the rifle.

Has anyone else experienced shifting zero problems with their 10/22 takedowns?

Default Re: Ruger 10/22 Takedown - shifting zero

Hi Francois,

A few questions,

First thing before we proceed, use a brass bore brush and clean your barrel properly until your oil mop/patch is absolutely clean.

Do you have access to any other scope?

Are you using a dead rest and how far down the stock are you resting the rifle, ie closer to trigger or closer to muzzle?

Is your bolt face absolutely clean?

Are you using a suppressor?

Are you bullet holes all perfectly round? Or are some slighly oval? Look closely.

You need to try at least 5 different ammo types, shoot your best group with each, which brand works and what is your best group size? For a Ruger you are doing well with a 12-15mm group c/c.

Let me know,

Regards
    Last edited by Tactical Tim; 08-02-2015 at 14:08.

User

What ammo are you using? Remember that each rifle will differ in ammo that works well. Even same brand and model rifles will shoot differently with the same batch of ammo.

Test a few other brands too, to see if your grouping gets any better.

Judging that you have eliminated loose bolts/rings/scopes, i would say the ammo is your next point of failure.

R.I.P.

Thank-you gents & apologies for late reply I've been travelling for business.

@Tim: I'll try your suggestions and get back here.

@Zillard: I really doubt if it is ammo related. I've seen variances in .22 but never this much (4" at 20m) with the same ammo. Also, when I shoot open-sights only the rifle groups consistently (the sights are mounted on the barrel).

User

Hi Francois,

There are a lot more than just the ammo and scope that can cause this. It sounds as if you already eliminated the scope.
    The following is some of my personal experiences and problems I had on rifles in the past.

First see if the stock isn't pressing somewhere on the barrel,
    Loose barrel,
    everything is tight, and I mean everything,
    No play in the bolt when loaded,

Then also i have seen faulty chambers and there was one that had a little dent on the lands. It will allow you to shoot 1-1.5 inch groups for about 5 rounds and then just start to spatter bullets all around the target.
    We notice that when we chambered a round and then ejected it. We saw the little scratch on the bullet. After dissembling the rifle we saw that dent.

Most of these problems we notices after a couple of shots and when the barrel warmed up a bit.
    Oh and one last thing, measure the barrel inside.

our .22 also prefers a "filthy" barrel and will shift around when clean till it reached its optimal lead deposit(even though it doesn't shift as much as yours). Then again the other one likes a clean barrel.
    Have you tried to shoot it until it starts shifting and then leave it a while before shooting again to see what happens?

Anyway im just pointing some stuff that might be a possibility. Good luck and keep us posted.

EDITED: btw my I did some reading with the takedowns 10/22 and the only thing with zero shifts that i did find on this was the looseness between barrel and receiver according to some.

Hi Francois

I'm looking for a 10/22 Takedown and no dealers seem to have them or are able to get them. Where did you buy yours if I may ask.

Thanks
    Janno

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Balletjies View Post
    Hi Francois

I'm looking for a 10/22 Takedown and no dealers seem to have them or are able to get them. Where did you buy yours if I may ask.

Thanks
    Janno
    Try Savuti Arms. I got mine from them

Since you say its grouping well with the open sights. Problem is not the barrel it self.
    Only other 2 items left will be the scope. Or where the two halves join.
    Make sure everything is 100% tight. On scope put another scope on to check, on bigger rifles when scope damaged it can jump. Or have a friend that shoots rifle take a view shots from a rest.

Im just asking. But are you consistently looking through the scope the same.
    Because if you don't make sure of this. Youll shoot all over the place.
    Even with a red dot. If you move your head around when you mount the rifle.
    Youll see the dot slightly moves to different spots on the target. Consistency is key.
    Same happens with a scope if you don't have your head in same spot and make sure sight picture is always the same.
    For instance seeing more black of scope sides than previous shots. This can happen.

User

I know this is an ancient thread, but I also had the experience of shifting zero shortly after getting my Takedown 10/22 when I got it 2 years ago with a Red Dot sight on it. After a bit of troubleshooting and, I think after reading it on a forum, I found the 2 allen screws on the front of the receiver where the barrel gets hooked up were loose. I tightened them and it eliminated most of the problems. It does move a little up or down sometimes when you separate and join the 2 pieces but not much. It does stay bang on if you don't take it down and I tend to do it only to clean it...