User

Default What finger do you pull the trigger with

I was wondering if some of the regular shooters use their middle finger instead of index finger to pull the trigger?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    I was wondering if some of the regular shooters use their middle finger instead of index finger to pull the trigger?
    Or should I rather say "press the trigger"

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Theunis... PLEASE don't start this thread up again...:-{(}

The middle finger has only one important use...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Theunis... PLEASE don't start this thread up again...:-{(}

The middle finger has only one important use...
    Thread again?
    I think the Mods will be using the their middle fingers right about know cause I didn't do a search on this topic

Sorry

User

Yeah, it was quite a thread.

Banned

Default When a door is opened, why not venture in?

Here are pics from 2 US Patents:

And here is wording from the 1908 Patent:

"This invention relates to a device adapted for attachment to fire-arms of various kinds, more especially to shot - guns or hunting rifles, and has for its object to facilitate quick and accurate pointing of the weapon without being obliged to adjust the gun-stock to the shoulder for aiming at birds just rising from the bush or in flight, or at other game.

The invention is based largely upon the fact that the conscious or sub-conscious faculties intuitively enable men to point the index finger directly and accurately at any visible object without bringing the outstretched finger into alinement with or between the eye and the object."

And the US Army, in its 2003 combat pistol manual states: "When a soldier points, he instinctively points at the feature on the object on which his eyes are focused. An impulse from the brain causes the arm and hand to stop when the finger reaches the proper position.

"When the eyes are shifted to a new object or feature, the finger, hand, and arm also shift to this point.

"It is this inherent trait that can be used by a soldier to rapidly and accurately engage targets."

Now having presented the above, I know that there are those of the mind set that (1.) the index finger is to be used to fire, and that (2.) you must always use the sights unless you are in contact.

And I have no problem with that, if all gunfights would happen in good light, and that one would have the time and self composure to use them.

However, if you are going to be shot and/or killed, in the U.S. there is a 90% chance that that will happen at less than 15 feet.

And at that distance there will be little time for proscribed breathing and careful squeezing of the trigger.... which are critical for accurate shooting, and to do that for each shot. And according to the science relating to CQ life threat encounters, you will lose you near vision and fine motor sklls in them, and they are necessary to Sight Shooting accuracy.

As such, armed Forces members, Police, and others who do not know an alternative method for shooting at CQ, will be "on their own" in CQ life threat situations. And according to the literature, the shooting method they will employ because they know no better, is instinctive shooting.

Not a bad choice, but most likely an ineffectual one, as the acknowledged MISS rate in armed encounters is 80+%.

The only saving grace for them, is that gunfights are rare, and most likely the perp will not know an alternative shooting method.

So unless one is having very bad day, he/she will not be in a gunfight, and if so, will probably survive anyway.

I know that some say that you can accurately point a gun by just pointing it at a target, but that is not reality. You can easily prove that to yourself the next time you are at the range. I have tried that, and my results were very poor.

There are several alternative methods of shooting that you can familiarize yourself with. P&S, CAR, FAS, Threat Focus, etc.

None are a bar to the use of the sights, if there is light to see them, and you have not lost your near focus and/or your fine motor skills, and there is time to aim each shot properly.

I prefer AIMED Point Shooting or P&S which uses the index finger for aiming, and the middle digit for pulling the trigger. It provides for a fast, automatic and correct flash sight picture, for each shot taken in good light or bad, and even when moving. See: http://www.pointshooting.com/1a2auto.htm

For those interest in seeing some pics and videos of Sight Shooting being used effectively in CQ gunfights, see: http://www.pointshooting.com/1april1.htm

What is, is what is. :)

User

I am locking this thread before this ****ing stupidity starts again.