Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Hunting In South Africa - Public land

HI all,

This may be a stupid question but I came across the following paragraph while searching for hunting season dates.

"Hunting season in South Africa on public land is dependant on local/provincial laws.Trophy hunting in South Africa is carried out throughout the year on private or private game reserve land."

So my understanding is that the hunting season is only applicable on Public land, but my actual question is, is there public land where we can go hunt in season in South Africa?

My understanding is also Public = Free to use?

Or is this a fairytale dream?

User

Default Re: Hunting In South Africa - Public land

Where did you find this? It sounds like someone who tried to fit our hunting rules to US terminology.

Good luck trying to hunt on "public land" like say, the Kruger National Park. In the US, hunting in (some?) national parks are the norm.

What the information actually should read is more that hunting seasons are determined by blah blah but hunting (ANY hunting) can be conducted year round on private farms that have exemption. Lots of private farms have exemption. I believe the exemption part was understood totally incorrectly by whoever wrote what you quoted.

I think our definition of "public land" should be explored.

User

Fairytale I would think.I would say public land in that paragraph refers to farms that are not "fenced in" with exemption. Game farms in other words with high game fences you can hunt year round

User

Well this is where I read it (http://www.africanhuntingsafaris.net...th-africa.html), is a private website so content could be made up, was just wondering and wishing, haha

I have heard that there is allot of government owned land in SA, will this not classify as public land? I think we should just go hunt on government land in open season, haha

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    I believe the exemption part was understood totally incorrectly by whoever wrote what you quoted.
    I would go even further, to the point that a lot of people understand the exemption/adequate enclosure part incorrectly, partly to do with the variation in legislation between provinces, but also partly because some lack the motivation to read the applicable legislation in the area/s where they intend hunting and takes the word of others as gospel.

And hunting on public land in SA is a lot harder to do legally than hunting on private land, I think the author of that little piece of advice got it completely wrong, he should have said unfenced private land and fenced private land that does not have an exemption or adequate enclosure certificate, in stead of public land.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Omega2004 View Post
    Well this is where I read it (http://www.africanhuntingsafaris.net...th-africa.html), is a private website so content could be made up, was just wondering and wishing, haha

I have heard that there is allot of government owned land in SA, will this not classify as public land? I think we should just go hunt on government land in open season, haha
    You're welcome to go hunting on the government-owned land if you like. Try the very large block of land to the north of Pretoria, east of the N1 (which happens to be prime but unused irrigation area from the Roodeplaat dam but I digress). Comfortably close, within half an hour drive from the city.

It happens to be owned by the military though so if it ends up being a bad experience, well, don't say I didn't warn you

User

Thanks Tetelestai, will keep my options open, I do however know of a spot closer to home, Like rietvlei (Heard you can get some Big five there).

Also heard Denel is a prime spot.

haha, o well, you only learn from asking questions, and as mentioned in first post, this was probably a stupid question, but now I know to rather phone a farm.

User

Doesn't hunting on public land = poaching?

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    Doesn't hunting on public land = poaching?
    Yes. And just last year some or other bigshot dimwit got whacked over the knuckles for poaching on Government property. He said "but it's my family's historical hunting grounds".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast