Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Need some advice on tents

Hello campers

My daughter who started grade 1 this year is having her yearly camp-out on school grounds which means we need to purchase a tent, mattress, etc.
    Long term we are planning to go camping (2 adults, 2 children) but that will have to wait for a few months as we are unlikely to go away as a family for a while still.

I know the tent should have a rain-sheet (discovered the importance last time I went camping with a borrowed tent).
    Is there anything else I should be looking for?
    Any brands that are good / to avoid?

Would it make sense to buy a 2 person inexpensive but reasonable quality tent now and another 2 person tent later for when we go away as a family (kids in 1 and adults in the other) or is it better to have 1 big tent?
    (no experience here so would appreciate seasoned campers input!)

Thanks very much.

User

Default Re: Need some advice on tents

I bought a "3" man Campmaster cheapy about 10 years ago, thinking that "it's cheap and when I break it I'll just replace it". Since then it's done yearly trips, music festivals, 10 day long cycling tours and fishing trips. Survived them all. The bag broke in the first 45 minutes, but the tent and it's fibreglass poles survived. I'll replace it with a decent one when I need to. The 3 man is more like 2 person max. I think they rate them on sleeping positions only - no luggage taken into account. The polyester dome tents are easy to rig, and relatively easy to stow - just make sure you fold them the way they come out of the bag..

Rather cry once and buy a Canvas Tent.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Edwill View Post
    Rather cry once and buy a Canvas Tent.
    I would love to but that we don't have the budget for that at the moment.
    (Only once we are a 2 income family again)

User

Go canvas... bought mine many year's ago. Try TENTCO: 21 Bisset Road (Extension of Kelly Road)
    Jet Park Industrial, Boksburg

Tel: +2711 397 6451/2
    Awsome bow tents and not expensive compared to other brands.

User

My dad bought me a makro "camp-master" nylon dome tent when I was a scout. I still have it today.

I've used a few varieties in the various hikes & camps I've been on, from A-frame 2 person, old army A-frame canvas, and nylon dome tents.

A-frames weather storms well. They don't flap or move too much in heavy wind, but changing cloths is a mission.

Dome tents afford you head room so you can at least pack gear & stand to change pants. They tend to almost flatten in heavy wind.

Canvas are strong and spacious, but was never really a one man job. I can't comment on the newer ones as we only used those old army A-frames and one very large mess tent.

If you go nylon, make sure the flysheet (rain sheet) sits clear of the under cotton tent fabric. Nylon, as well as canvas, only stay water proof provided they are not touched. AFAIK the fibers absorb a bit of water, swell, and then become water tight. If you touch it (or it's touching the under tent fabric) it breaks the seal. I learnt this the hard way in the old army tent. Saw a small bulge above my head, touched it, then had Chinese water torture all night.

User

I bought a massive Oz Trail tent the year before last. I've used it a few times and it's awesome. It's one of those light nylon types, didn't leak in rain (about 1 day's worth of constant rain, storms though) and it's surprisingly warm for such a thin piece of plastic material.

What you need to decide on is simple: Will this be a tent only for her, for one time use at the school, or will you want her to enjoy this tent for years to come? What weight are you willing to carry/drive around if you decide to go camping? Do you consider making use of the tent yourself in the future as well (perhaps if you go camping with friends or go hunting or so forth)?

Personally I'd buy a cheapish tent now and a proper one later. Look at something like this: http://www.takealot.com/oztrail-tasm...e/PLID28062717

User

Quote Originally Posted by DCDUTY View Post
    Go canvas... bought mine many year's ago. Try TENTCO: 21 Bisset Road (Extension of Kelly Road)
    Jet Park Industrial, Boksburg

Tel: +2711 397 6451/2
    Awsome bow tents and not expensive compared to other brands.

This x10000000000 they have an agent in CT. I have paid my taxes with tents. Tentco is Very good value for money.

User

Canvas is bulky and heavy no?

Quote Originally Posted by uBestRi View Post
    Canvas is bulky and heavy no?
    And expensive.

But far sturdier in a storm, doesn't flap you awake if there's wind, and darker and cooler inside so you don't have issues with your neighbour's camping lights keeping you awake.

Also it smells like camping :)
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast