Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Graham12 View Post
    Are there any genetic deformities that some hunters target? And not only on gemsbok, across all animals. Albinism excluded.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I have family near TStone. Mainly sheep farming. They get requests for four horned sheep quite regularly.

Banned

Default Re: Gemsbok. Horn deformities.

I found these Kudu horns shot by a farmer near Wolwefontein E/Cape

A engineering friend of mine has a Kudu skull found in velt that has a horn thats grown into eye and presumably was cause of death.

User

TStone, your pictures illustrate something else about Gemsbok: seen in isolation (referring to the first pictures) it really very difficult to judge the size of a gemsbok. The younger ones really just look like scaled-down versions of the bigger ones, with identical proportions. From your first pictures there's almost nothing to suggest that the one animal was so much smaller than the other.

How do you guys in the industry "size" Gemsbok, to avoid a "groot bok wat ver is" mistake?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    TStone, your pictures illustrate something else about Gemsbok: seen in isolation (referring to the first pictures) it really very difficult to judge the size of a gemsbok. The younger ones really just look like scaled-down versions of the bigger ones, with identical proportions. From your first pictures there's almost nothing to suggest that the one animal was so much smaller than the other.

How do you guys in the industry "size" Gemsbok, to avoid a "groot bok wat ver is" mistake?
    Thats a good question and something I havent worked out how to do with Gemsbok. Most other animals, especially when going after rams/bulls you can judge by horn size, neck. I wonder if Gemsbok are similar to Kudu in the sense that the older kudu bulls often have that bigger lower hanging belly than the young ones. Do Gemsbok share the same trait I wonder?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post

Pirate, if you look closely at the horns of the two, you will notice that the younger bull's horns look "smoother", the ridges are less prominent. However, that is not always so easy to see out in the veld and many a ph end up with egg on his face when a huge bull turns into a sub adult, after being shot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Graham12 View Post
    Would these deformities be viewed as rare and usual to a trophy hunter and thus be of a greater commercial value? To me, no. However I'm a relatively new hunter, so I wouldn't want to hunt them.

Are there any genetic deformities that some hunters target? And not only on gemsbok, across all animals. Albinism excluded.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Graham, there are some trophy hunters that target animals with deformed horns, and are willing to pay a premium for such animals.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Pirate, if you look closely at the horns of the two, you will notice that the younger bull's horns look "smoother", the ridges are less prominent. However, that is not always so easy to see out in the veld and many a ph end up with egg on his face when a huge bull turns into a sub adult, after being shot.
    I know their colors vary from region to region.

But in your area, does the older animals not have darker stripes?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    I know their colors vary from region to region.

But in your area, does the older animals not have darker stripes?
    Not to the extent that I would bet on it. I try to avoid shooting a solitary gemsbok as far as possible, it is very easy to make a mistake.

User

Damn... I really though that there was a reliable way I just didn't know about :-(
    I know bulls vs cows are very slightly easier, as the latter tend to have longer, more slender horns. But I've seen some your bulls that look the spitting image of a big bodied bull, until you see it next to an adult, and you realise how much smaller the young one is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2