Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Silencer on a AR15

hey guys
    sorry if the following has been discussed can not find a link that answers all i want to know.
    Have a sig m400 in application stage and want to find out the following
    1) does the barrel need to have threads cut on it to fit the silencer, or will existing threads cut for flash hiders work
    2) do i need to apply to the cfo to have a silencer fitted as with a hand gun
    3) do silencer hold up to sport shooting use
    4) aluminum seems to be frowned app-on is this a major factor in 556/223
    5) Advise who to got threw to get it done
    thanks in advance
    regards Mark

User

Default Re: Silencer on a AR15

1) if the barrel has a flash hider on it, it's already threaded. most likely in standard ar15 threading.
    2) you dont need to apply for shit, there's no law for or against it. with pistols or rifles.
    3) my numenor one has done like 2000+ rounds through it and zero issues.
    4) titanium will cost a shitload, vs steel.
    5) for quick disconnect suppressors, expect to pay about R5-6k. numenor screw-on was R2k.

do yourself a favour and source a namebrand adjustable gasblock first, like SLR or syrac. escaping gas can be a bitch in the eyes, worse in the lungs :) it's like amonia.

User

thanks Lian
    will start doing research based on what you told me to try understand better
    only clicked after that the reason i had to go threw cfo license for hand gun was cause i needed a new barrel for my hand gun to threaded

Banned

I saw Shooting Stuff in PTA had pre-made silencers for .223 available for like R1800.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    1) if the barrel has a flash hider on it, it's already threaded. most likely in standard ar15 threading.
    Usually 1/2" 28 TPI on 5,56/223

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    do yourself a favour and source a namebrand adjustable gasblock first, like SLR or syrac. escaping gas can be a bitch in the eyes, worse in the lungs :) it's like amonia.
    The extra gas from the gas system (DI or piston) does cause somewhat more vigorous ejection, but little more. What does make a noticable difference, is the gas that returns through the barrel. This happens because the case is extracted before all the pressure has escaped from the supressor. The result is some hot gas in your face and much more fouling in the action. And the bigger the can, the more gas returns through the barrel. Weigh that up against the "cool factor".

I bought an Utra SL5 silencer in December. 98mm long. Got round type baffle tubes inside.
    Which reduces far better than normal baffles. Its made in finland and is made for military use.

Google the make. It quiets(Supresses) my 308 incredibly well.

They also make one specific for AR's.

May I ask what you want the suppressor for? Defending your castle, cool factor...

I have 1/2-28 thread, half-foot long one - it works incredibly well on AR in .22 - on a 223/5.56 it just takes-off the supersonic crack, ideal for house defense imho.
    I also have a foot long one for my 5.56/223, it suppresses very well, but changes the point of impact to the extent that I don't bother using it.

So, decide on purpose, check the specs and ask the right questions.

User

Thanks for the lesson gave me a far better understanding and help me head towards the correct things to punch into google and to ask on the range
    for now project is off as it was far more tacticool than actually functional, movie quite silencer is not possible on a 223 just to much crack from the round and can not see benefit on the small recoil that the extra hours of cleaning become worth it.

User

Hi guys, any recommendations on where to start looking for a reliable silencer at a decent price (ASE Utra is out of budget).

I will be using it mostly for varmint hunting so it will not see extended bouts of rapid fire. For DMG shoots silencer will be removed.

User

I use the warrior silencer with a range friendly brake and I am very happy , no issues https://www.gunwarrior.co.za/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast