Page 1 of 83 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    User

Default BS you've heard at the shooting range.

And how best to deal with it?

I was at the range yesterday when someone involved me in their conversation about how during a self defense shooting hitting people in the head or the heart in this country will get you charged with murder and how he aims to hit groin area, complete with mimicking a gunslingers quickdraw, shooting from the hip with the gun indexed on his own hip.

And no, this was not a discussion on the possible effects of hip bone hits, or if it was is was very obliquely referenced.

And I actually had no words. I may have gaped like a fish out of water for about 2 seconds, my OODA loop blown completely to shreds until I decided, "screw it" and simply slid my eyes over the person on the line and watched them knock over some plates.

User

Default Re: BS you've heard at the shooting range.

That is absolutely amazing. Where do these people hear such things, and more importantly how can they possibly think that it is true.

User

Due to my age, I dont even bother. "Ja oom, okay oom".

User

The misconceptions out there are massive. Some are open to rectification, the person spouting them being genuinely ignorant and capable of being persuaded to see the correct facts. Others invest so much ego into their own beliefs that they are unswayable. Least of all from somebody younger than them, or someone who has been around guns less than they have. Just because a person has been shooting for many years by no means indicates that they actually bothered to keep themselves informed about the basic aspects of the law...as much is clear.

It is nice that they can hit steel plates better than me. It is not nice that they will likely make a dog's breakfast of whatever gunfight they become involved in due to their outmoded, inaccurate, and just plain wrong ideas stuck in their heads.

Meh. Natural selection can sort it out. I don't pay their life insurance policy afterall.

"This pistol is so inaccurate".
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

The Dunning-Kruger effect runs rampant amongst firearm owners.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Like everywhere else.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post
    Least of all from somebody younger than them,
    This was what I was going to run into I think. Like sa-shooter said I should have "ja oom"'d him. I've never been in a gunfight. I've never had to shoot anyone in the head, heart or pelvic bone. I honestly hope I never have to. If I do I am shooting until the threat stops, that is for sure. But I've got nothing my side to back me up. Sure I've got things like Doc GKR and even Fackler and the word from trainer and people kicking doors and shooting faces, even word from people in this country who HAVE had to shoot and kill their attackers, but I personally have nothing to say besides 'I heard" or "I read". Those aren't going to sway anyone.

It is nice that they can hit steel plates better than me..
    Sometimes not even this.

KBK

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    This was what I was going to run into I think. Like sa-shooter said I should have "ja oom"'d him. I've never been in a gunfight. I've never had to shoot anyone in the head, heart or pelvic bone. I honestly hope I never have to. If I do I am shooting until the threat stops, that is for sure. But I've got nothing my side to back me up. Sure I've got things like Doc GKR and even Fackler and the word from trainer and people kicking doors and shooting faces, even word from people in this country who HAVE had to shoot and kill their attackers, but I personally have nothing to say besides 'I heard" or "I read". Those aren't going to sway anyone.

Sometimes not even this.

KBK
    You've got common sense. Which is something they don't have. And you can't teach it.

User

Maybe bit off topic but in the same line.

Family members or family friends that is visiting and peering over my shoulder as I'm cleaning, reloading etc and then start to impart their infinite wisdom:
    Pistol a lot more dangerous than revolvers; ND and AD only occur with pistols.
    Revolvers are a lot more reliable than pistols.
    Do you carry "1-up"? That is so dangerous.
    Using the wrong XX to clean.

Any type of rationale answer is then countered, "Ja I was in the army and I've owned my firearm for 30 years". We both know the revolver has only ever fired 6 shots and that it has been unloaded in the safe for 30 years with the brown taped together box of the cheapest available ball ammo with 6 rounds missing.

Page 1 of 83 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast