Banned

Default Question regarding farming

I've recently read up on a certain plant that grows in West Africa that has some potential here in SA. The thing is it grows very slowly and it needs tropical conditions (no, its not dagga). Now my first impression is that KZN would be the best place to grow these, but I have no idea how much farming land is. How much would a 10 hectare piece of property cost? Forested property would be ideal. Just need the actual land, no buildings or utilities. Is it possible to purchase the usage of a normal farmers land? A part he's not using. Something along those lines. These plants take 4 years to reach maturity.

User

Default Re: Question regarding farming

You would probably find your best option would be is to lease some land from a farmer! More difficult than it seems. Frost tolerance, soil acidity, clay quantity, rain fall etc etc many factors to concider

User

Default Re: Question regarding farming

slingshot, RE this plant, email me, croc1 at gaucheair dot com.

I have 10ha of cane coming out, looking to lease it so might as well give you a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post
    I've recently read up on a certain plant that grows in West Africa that has some potential here in SA. The thing is it grows very slowly and it needs tropical conditions (no, its not dagga). Now my first impression is that KZN would be the best place to grow these, but I have no idea how much farming land is. How much would a 10 hectare piece of property cost? Forested property would be ideal. Just need the actual land, no buildings or utilities. Is it possible to purchase the usage of a normal farmers land? A part he's not using. Something along those lines. These plants take 4 years to reach maturity.
    Slingshot. If this plant like the tropical climate it might be worth looking into tunnels / greenhouses. You will probably get higher production and better quality with more control. Let me know if you need more info.