Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default Re: Paintball Marker vs Firearm

Fastest way to shut down this BS- I will take a shot from your paintball gun if you will take a shot from my 9mm

User

I know you said "on another thread", but I presume it is on that other forum. How are Sectional Density and Relative Penetration a) defined and b) calculated ? BTW, you spelt "Sectional" incorrectly in your table.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HadEnuf View Post
    I know you said "on another thread", but I presume it is on that other forum. How are Sectional Density and Relative Penetration a) defined and b) calculated ? BTW, you spelt "Sectional" incorrectly in your table.
    Damn it, missed the spelling!

Anyway, this was all calculated with online tools. 9mm was calculated using normal ammo calculators and the paintball marker details I got using a tool made for calculating muzzle-loader info when using spherical bullets. Most info was calculated on www.beartoothbullets.com using their (pretty nifty) tools. I spent some time on other forums researching the validity of these tools.

The one exception is the sectional density of the paintball. I couldn't find a tool to calculate me the SD of a sphere, so I used a normal calculator.

PS: Most values are rounded and made "easier" to understand.

User

if you break it down into power factors, the differences become ridiculous. some people actually recommend windbuks pellets instead of nylon balls.

pellet: PF of 5.
    22LR: PF of 48.
    ball: PF of 50.
    9mm: PF of 140.
    AR15: PF of 192.
    308AR: PF of 418.

User

The other one I always hear from "pro-marker" guys is the legal argument. If you point a gun, or shoot unarmed someone you will be in trouble and jail.

First go through eh whole armed versus threat discussion.

They are usually very surprised when I show them FCA section 120 (6):
    (6) It is an offence to point—
    (a) any firearm, an antique firearm or an airgun, whether or not it is loaded or
    capable of being discharged, at any other person, without good reason to do
    so; or
    (b) anything which is likely to lead a person to believe that it is a firearm, an
    antique firearm or an airgun at any other person, without good reason to do so.

Also shooting a person that is not an immediate threat with nylon projectile will probably land you in some serious legal trouble.

User

It might also be a good idea to mention to the Paintball warriors that a lot of the time the BG's are on drugs, and a nylon paintball might just have the same effect as a mosquito byte.

Quote Originally Posted by DRD View Post
    It might also be a good idea to mention to the Paintball warriors that a lot of the time the BG's are on drugs, and a nylon paintball might just have the same effect as a mosquito byte.
    I have a 'rifle' type gun for pepperball & nylons and know full well what it can do. There are some occasions when it becomes handy. Much like carrying pepper, a FA and a knife - it helps having a choice for a specific situation.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    I have a 'rifle' type gun for pepperball & nylons and know full well what it can do. There are some occasions when it becomes handy. Much like carrying pepper, a FA and a knife - it helps having a choice for a specific situation.
    What do you mean by rifle type paintball gun? Do you mean the barrel has rifling cut into the bore or do you mean one of those paintball guns that looks like an AR, AK etc...

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    What do you mean by rifle type paintball gun? Do you mean the barrel has rifling cut into the bore or do you mean one of those paintball guns that looks like an AR, AK etc...
    Looks like a long rifle. It is aluminium, has a pic rail and adjustable stock. Velocity is at max.

User

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    there are tons of milsim paintball markers. for example, tippman and tiberius.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast