Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Paintball Marker vs Firearm

In the start of my #gunlife I was ever too eager to discuss guns and self-defence with anyone who shared a similar interest.

Over time I've taken the road of keeping my thoughts and opinions to myself as there's just too many master practitioners skilled in the art of stupid. They cannot be reasoned with and are so stuck in their ways that they're closed off to interrogating new information that goes counter to their dogma.

Folks who believe that paintball markers loaded with super-sucka-killa-death-peppa-ballz make for an effective self-defence tools should be left to live with the consequences of their actions.

Lately I've spoken to too many people who claim they want to get a gun for the defence of their family but then show no interest in going through with it. In one case, the chap's neighbour had a violent break-in during which the BG's fired a couple of rounds at the family. Still not enough to push them to action.

Some people just cannot be helped.

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    Lately I've spoken to too many people who claim they want to get a gun for the defence of their family but then show no interest in going through with it. In one case, the chap's neighbour had a violent break-in during which the BG's fired a couple of rounds at the family. Still not enough to push them to action.

Some people just cannot be helped.
    At least it's better than the people that survive a hijacking/home invasion/robbery and say "Thankfully I didn't have a gun, they would've found it and killed me" or "Having a gun would've just made the situation worse" smh.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Nyt Ryda View Post
    At least it's better than the people that survive a hijacking/home invasion/robbery and say "Thankfully I didn't have a gun, they would've found it and killed me" or "Having a gun would've just made the situation worse" smh.
    Those are the words of a person who lacks the will to take accountability for their own safety and would rather live under the guise of moral superiority for not owning a weapon that 'would take a life' while happily outsourcing the responsibility to someone else.

User

The accountability, responsibility and outsourcing words makes me think of the sheep, wolf and sheepdog analogy. Sometimes they just can't help it, but I won't keep quiet when some sheep try to convince other sheep that they should all get their teeth pulled because if they ban teeth, the wolves can't bite them anymore.

User

To reopen a once dead and reopened and then dead post again (did I get that right?)

I once played paintball professionally, knowing full well how painful a shot is, I decided to grab a TiPX for self defense when I worked night shifts at Fisantekraal Airfield a few years back while I was studying. Luckily I never had to use it because it was absolute garbage for self defense. I had mine loaded with 5 rounds nylon followed by 2 rounds pepper. I had a friend shoot me with the Nylon round and it stung like a b***h and thats about it. A loud "Eina F*k" was let out and I walked over to him and told him that its his turn.

If I was an attacker with a knife for example, he would of been dead because it wouldn't have stopped me.

The pepper is pretty much useless as well. Shoot it upwind and you're buggered, shoot it downwind and his buggered for about 5 seconds, shoot it on a day with no wind and his buggered for about 15 seconds.

If you want non-lethal self defense then just get a big can of pepper spray. Yeah you gotte be within 3 meters to aim properly, yes its a stream, but as soon as you hit that persons face, they're stuffed for a solid 30 minutes at least, however dont even attempt trying that with someone armed with a firearm because while you're trying to hit them in the face with something that can only be described as an 'orange pepper piss stream', they'll probably get a good few rounds off into you.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bl4d3 View Post
    but as soon as you hit that persons face, they're stuffed for a solid 30 minutes at least,
    A few forum members with first-hand experience on how useless pepper spray can be will differ from you. Just ask @Wandering Zero (think it was him?). The only non-lethal option that works (sort of), is a Tazer. Not a china mall R50 special with "90 gazillions volt" printed on the side, a proper Tazer.

User

The problem I've found with tasers is a lot of the time they suffer with the same problem as stun guns. They're only effective as long as its activated.

I once had a marker for SD loaded with pepper balls, thought it would do the job. I got this impression because I asked a guy at a gun shop how effective pepper balls would be and he let me sniff a honey jar with some pepper in it. Bad idea (I'm sure the salesman had a good laugh). Man I was coughing like crazy and it was quite uncomfortable, I didn't inhale that mildly. But if I was a bad guy with a gun intent on doing harm I think I could recover quite quick. So you would have to get that pepper ball right in his face to have a real debilitating long term effect.

That didn't enter my thoughts at the time, so I bought a marker.

Not only does the gas leak, but I came to realise how ineffective a marker is when I shot a pepper ball and walked through it and it had almost no effect, and taking a hit from a nylon ball might deter a criminal who doesn't want any resistance, but wouldn't deter a criminal who had intent.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bl4d3 View Post

The problem I've found with tasers is a lot of the time they suffer with the same problem as stun guns. They're only effective as long as its activated.
    Problem with these tests are that they're all "controlled". In other words, a completely sober, sane and perfectly normal person is being tased or sprayed. They never do these tests with an adrenaline filled junkie, high off his mind, with a knife in his hand.

User

The purpose of it being controlled is so that measurable results can be obtained.

10 to 1, a bullet wont even stop an "adrenaline filled junkie, high off his mind, with a knife in his hand".
    Not sure if your recall but there was that guy high on bath salts that still ate off someones face. Took 4 rounds to get the guy just to stop eating the other guy

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 LastLast