Page 1 of 66 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    User

Default The Statue debate

Would like to hear your opinion.

First it was Rhodes, now other statues are being targeted, this is starting to spread like a wildfire.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...-UKZN-20150326

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afri...ange-1.1837246

Sad.

After all the statues have fallen, what will be next?

User

Default Re: The Statue debate

Nasty business. Leftists marching with their looting buddies soon find their skin tone to be the wrong shade and then the killing starts? I hope this does not progress any further.

These bloody students have contributed nothing to these universities. Most of them are there on bursaries and subsidised, they are there at these world class facilities because of the contributions of people who came before them. Let them erect statues in honour of people they revere as well instead of being ignorant about the past and bleating like mindless cretins about "race" this and "imperialist" that. If they want universities where they are more focused of ideologies and race issues why don't they go to one of those, they do exist. I see they are now calling for more black professors at UCT, why don't they rather insist on getting the BEST professors, whatever colour or persuasion they may be and rather concentrate on getting a world class education and a world class facility which is available to them instead of lowering the bar to the lowest common denominator.

The blatant (and official) racism towards whites is spreading like a disease. Even the ANC can't make a comment without playing the race card and fuelling the fire of hate.

Given the history of my own people, I have no particular love for the English or for Rhodes. You will however achieve nothing by trying to erase them from history and ignoring the influence they had. I wonder whether it occured to any of these morons that the university they study at would not have existed, had it not been for Rhodes.

Idiots. if I was the Rhodes foundation. I would immediately stop paying the bursaries of these idiots who did it.

Im telling you now. If the go near the Voortrekker Monument. They will have a huge fight on their hands.

It's been going on for a while. Those that remember the statues on Maleoskop COIN/TIN, probably also know what a fight it has been to date to get hold of the statues where they lie broken, and get them fixed and put up somewhere safe.

But what do you do? You can't put them all up on one plot - it will be seen as a shrine of racism. Lobby groups will never allow it.

In reality, you might be able to save some, but definitely not all. Very sad stat(u)e of affairs.

User

What's sad is that the anti-CJ Rhodes crowd is basically underpinning his racists views with their poo flinging. What's even more sad is that these students, privileged enough to study at a top academic institution, are to idiotic to recognize this.

User

Jonathan Jansen, Vice Chancellor of the University of Free State:

Yes there is, and that is why I believe we should condemn the vileness of how we protest — for the consequences downstream are much more serious than the immediate spectacle of pouring human excrement over things we do not like might suggest.
    Of course, there is the question of who cleans up the mess once the media cameras are turned off and the triumphal students return to their air-fresh accommodation on or off campus. It is black workers, perhaps even the parents of students. None of this humiliation matters to the students. They made their point and got their airtime. Who cares about the cleaners?
    What happens, though, when pouring out buckets of human waste becomes a habit of protest in a democracy — as appears to be the case in Cape Town? What does that say about us as citizens and about protest as civic action?

User

It frustrates the hell out of me, and as is said, plenty of the poo flingers are likely there on subsidies and or bursaries, and those should be pulled!
    If they don't like the university, leave, no one is forcing them to stay there! Go to one that has all the political heroes they worship and leave the top schools, founded by settlers you hate to those seeking top level education!
    Dumbasses!

All they are doing by entertaining the notion of removing statues etc, is treating the symptoms of an underlying problem. Removing a statue will change nothing, but it makes it appear as if progress is being made.

Page 1 of 66 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast