Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default 8x68 S Owners opinions are welcome

Good day members

I am currently contemplating building a 8x68S hunting rifle. I really would like it very much if you who owns a 8x68S rifle will give me feedback regarding this caliber. Good points and not so good points will be more than welcome ...if you can have a second 8x68S what would you like to change on this rifle?

Gert

User

Default Re: 8x68 S Owners opinions are welcome

Don't own one but according to what I read it kicks most 300magnums ass especially with heavier projectiles
    Brass will be expensive and bullets and ammo not so available.

Be sure you're rifle is heavy enough with at least a 26inch barrel

I just like it(i have a 300H&H)

Who is building it for you?

User

Brass is relatively scarce (European manufacturers like Norma and RWS make it) but 8mm(.323) bullets are plentiful.
    Uses S365 propellant for reloading.

Ballistics more or less on a par with the .325 WSM.

Recoil is quite heavy with bullets in the 220 grain class, but certainly not unbearable if you used to shooting the heavy bores.

Quite a few European rifle manufacturers still making this calibre. Still very popular in Europe.

It has some impressive knockdown power/terminal ballistics.

Banned

It is ze German answer to the US .300-syndrome and like all things German it is simply better.

I have read up on it a bit and it seems to be at least on par with most 300's, although some might disagree.

User

Also interested in this caliber! Would love one someday...

No personal experience, but from what I have heard after asking around:

1) likes a longer barrel, 26-28"
    2) don't make barrel too thin (I think this might be for the recoil...)

User

Thank you for the replies, it really is much appreciated. It seems the perception regarding this caliber is on par with with the perception of the 404 Jeffery..every one wants one, those who have one will never sell it...

I have access to new brass, currently have ( 75 pieces of brass) bought a set of re-loading dies, bought a M98 action in good condition...got hold of a American blank for the stock (it is a very heavy piece of American Wall nut.)

I will order a Walther barrel early next year...chambered in the 8x68S caliber, heavy barrel at least 26 inch ( minimum length) maybe I can get it in a 1; 9.45 twist ratio...it will be the same as the 8x57JS ...a tight twist with a large brass cartridge will be a tact driver...

I will build this rifle myself...with Johan Greyling`assistance and guidance...this will be my long range ( 300 - 400 m) springbok, gemsbok , blesbok and swart wildebees hunting rifle...

I will now have the chance to do all the lapping, polishing and preparation on the action to get an optimum performance from the action.

Only a scope and no other type of sights....I reload rounds yesterday and noticed the powerful appearances of these rounds...it just seem to be a round on its own...in its own league... like the 404 Jeffery...

User

Please members. feel free to give more info and opinions regarding the 8x68S, it is info I can use to work on a proper design..it is always the best method to learn from people who have walked this road already...

Banned

Gert, to be serious for a moment: I have only fondled an original 8x68 Oberndorf Mauser once and never shot one. The rest of my knowledge is theoretical. A few thoughts on this beaut:

1. The calibre has some mythical qualities only the owners know about. I don't know any 8x68 owner willing to sell his. It simply means that this is a well designed cartridge which works well, very much like the .308 Win is a very effective cartridge.

2. I doubt that it is much better or worse than the .300 range. Put a 26" barrel on a 300H&H and it also becomes a something worth mentioning. The only difference is its ability to shoot a slightly heavier bullet in the top end. IIRC it can push a 250gr bullet @ 2500fps or something similar, whereas the .300 range maxes out at 220gr. The trajectory is very much the same as the .300 range, depending on bullet weight, manufacturer etc.

3. I would like to compare BC's of 8mm vs 7,62mm bullets. My gut tells me there is a surprise waiting.

4. For everyday usage, despite my favouring all (or many) things German, I would go the .300 route because of the availability of almost everything.

5. I once read some good reviews because of the non-rimmed case but I can't remember the specific points. It had to do with feeding or extraction issues due to the rimless design.

User

Hallo Ds. J

Jy is heeltemal reg as jy uit `n prakties oogpunt na die situasie kyk. Die .300 kalibers is baie volop, groot verskeidenheid doppe, punte herlaai items...is baie maklik verkrygbaar, elke jagter besit `n 300 H&H `n 338 Win of `n .375 H&H ...logika vereis dat `n jagter gaan na die kaliber waarvoor hy in elke jag winkel doppe , punte/koeels en kruit kan kry vir sy geweer...

Omdat ek glad nie gewere nuut van die rak af aankoop nie moet ek die moeilike roete loop soos wat ek met die 404 Jeffery geloop het...maar vandag het ek meer doppe as wat ek ooit kan opgebruik, twee stelle matryse en meer as genoeg punte om die skaars 404 Jeffery te skiet, maar die 404 Jeffery is lankal nie meer so skaars nie...die kaliber is nou baie algemeen omdat almal die geweer wil skiet en mee jag.

Ek glo die 8x68S gaan net so algemeen raak ...daar moet net genoeg belangstelling gekweek word onder die jagters...dit is darem nou nie so moeilik om dit reg te kry nie..plaas `n klomp artikels rakende `n jag met die 8x68S en fotos van `n bouproses waar jy besig is om die 8x68S te bou en almal wil ook `n 8x68S he om mee te jag....dit het met die 404 Jeffery gewerk, Johan Greyling het nou al sewe 404 Jeffery gewere verkoop...jagters moet net bewus gemaak word dat die kaliber nie so moeilik is om te onderhou nie...

Ek gaan nou die 8x68S bou omdat dit `n kaliber is met geskiedenis, doppe sal ek fire form van .375 Ruger doppe af dan spaar ek so R4 `n dop...daar is baie ander doppe wat ek kan fire form om in my 8x69S te skiet...

Vir my staan die 8x68S alleen as dit by `n akkurate , vinnige harde slaankrag jag geweer kom...

User

Is die 8x68s nie bietjie lank vir n k98 nie?

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast