Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: 8x68 S Owners opinions are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Apie View Post
    Is die 8x68s nie bietjie lank vir n k98 nie?
    Wikipedia:
    The magnum hunting cartridges 6.5×68mm, 8×68mm S and 9.3×64mm Brenneke were even specially developed by German gunsmiths for the standard military Mauser 98 action.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Wikipedia:
    From what I recall the std K98 action had to be modified in that the cartridge is a tad too long. To my mind this is not ideal. In this regard the 8x60 is perfect fit for the magazine and a very impressive cartridge in its own right.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    From what I recall the std K98 action had to be modified in that the cartridge is a tad too long. To my mind this is not ideal. In this regard the 8x60 is perfect fit for the magazine and a very impressive cartridge in its own right.
    I agree that it is not ideal, but the real question when modifying an action is safety and accuracy, or not? As long as the modified action can handle the pressures safely and deliver the necessary accuracy, I would be willing to do it if need arises. It might be a little easier to buy a longer action from the start. K98 action were made in different lengths, so that shouldn't be a problem.

User

A good gunsmith can open up a M98 action to accommodate the 8x68S round even when it is re-loaded longer than normal...there are ways and means to do it in such a way that safety is not compromised at all.

As with opening up of the action , working and cutting away at the stripper clip guide at the back of the action is the best way to go....keep in mind..you need to affect changes to the magazine box as well...some work have to be done on the left feeding rail near the neck of the round as well to ensure the round does not drag alongside the magazine wall...

The advantage of using a action that is not screwed to a barrel is that you can lap the lugs, clean-up the bolt face, polish the surfaces and feeding ramps as well, adjust lock timing, do all the requirements to get a smooth action..

Time is your friend when you wait for a barrel to be imported from Germany...you can even build your stock and experiment with a adjustable coil-spring recoil pad to absorb and reduce any recoil on the rifle ensuring a accurate shooter that does not flinch...

All in all, you can fit a 8x68S round the correct way in a M98 action as intended by Paul Mauser .....

User

N
    Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    A good gunsmith can open up a M98 action to accommodate the 8x68S round even when it is re-loaded longer than normal...there are ways and means to do it in such a way that safety is not compromised at all.

As with opening up of the action , working and cutting away at the stripper clip guide at the back of the action is the best way to go....keep in mind..you need to affect changes to the magazine box as well...some work have to be done on the left feeding rail near the neck of the round as well to ensure the round does not drag alongside the magazine wall...

The advantage of using a action that is not screwed to a barrel is that you can lap the lugs, clean-up the bolt face, polish the surfaces and feeding ramps as well, adjust lock timing, do all the requirements to get a smooth action..

Time is your friend when you wait for a barrel to be imported from Germany...you can even build your stock and experiment with a adjustable coil-spring recoil pad to absorb and reduce any recoil on the rifle ensuring a accurate shooter that does not flinch...

All in all, you can fit a 8x68S round the correct way in a M98 action as intended by Paul Mauser .....

Netjies!

User

Good, time for an update; I will shortly commence with the 8x68S rifle build. The spin-off of the .500 Jeffery project will ensure I can use the steel cast Magnum bottom metal/trigger guard/magazine plate for the 8x68S action, so it just means it is now in a magnum conversion format..

I therefore can re-load my round out to 91 mm for more speed on longer shots with premium bullets from a 29.1 inch barrel...with slow burning propellant...and a 250 gn North Folk core bonded or a Stewart core bonded bullet in the 225-250 grain bullet range...the rifle twist will be 1:10
    The rifle stock will be a sleek, long Mannlicher Schoenauer type stock to compliment the lines of this rifle..I will build it in a Traditional design with flip up distance indicators and a nice front sight ...on this rifle I will definitely top it with a set of claw mounts and a Leopold scope for longer distances...

germanysgreateight.pdf

User

My late Uncle had a Sauer 202 custom made in the Sauer custom shop in Germany ( along with a 7x64 and 9.3x62 )
    High grade wood, thumb hole stocks, fluted bull barrels, jeweled bolts, all had Zeiss Diavari scopes on.
    They where things of absolute beauty.
    I shot all of them and then I used to drool excessively over these rifles.
    They 8x68 recoil was stiff but not unbearable. This rifle with a 220 grain Woodleigh pole axed more than one Blue Wildebeest.
    It literally used to drop them where they stood.

User

Dale, when I got into rifles I always wanted two calibers, a 404 Jeffery and a 8x68S ...at this stage the 404 Jeffery is my go to rifle when ever I go to the bush...I believe the 8x68S will be the other go to rifle when I completed the build..I then want to take it to the Kalahari and hunt on foot for Gemsbok and Eland...I really am going to enjoy this particular rifle build...it is something I always wanted to do...

User

One day when my financial situation is in better shape than it is now, i will have one custom built for myself.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dale SH View Post
    One day when my financial situation is in better shape than it is now, i will have one custom built for myself.
    Never give up on your dreams, always keep pursuing your dreams, they will happen ...

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast