Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 8x68 S Owners opinions are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    From the above it seems the gas bottles are pretty much rifle barrel steel ?? (but I am soooo amateur here)
    It would appear that the spring steel impression I got was from the tempering.
    Which raises the question of after you have put it in the forge and hammered the **** out of it, just what steel do you have at end process and why is it so 'good".
    Treeman, I can tell you one thing..according to the composition of this sheet metal that has great properties in bending, folding, with stand direct charcoal furnace heat...and it really is spring type of steel...I am thinking of cutting strips and layer it to forge a damascus type pattern knife..when sanding it on the knife belt sander machine I notice the high carbon content when the sparks are exploding in star type patterns...it will be sufficient steel to forge at least a kitchen vegetables knife...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    These threads are cool to follow, often no need to post anything, I just rather follow the updates.
    What he said

User

Great BBT, nice to hear from you again...I will provide finer detail in regards to some interesting procedures when building a rifle from scratch..Johan Greyling as my mentor and adviser has the talent to explain procedures in fine detail to me..I am sure I will be able to convey this info to the members..it makes the thread more interesting... It still will be great if members would ask questions in regards to procedures involved when building a rifle ...keep in mind..this is a build from a person who do not have the skills or capabilities a professional gunsmith like Danie Joubert and other qualified gunsmiths has...or a talented highly qualified, much experienced Johan Greyling has.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Great BBT, nice to hear from you again...I will provide finer detail in regards to some interesting procedures when building a rifle from scratch..Johan Greyling as my mentor and adviser has the talent to explain procedures in fine detail to me..I am sure I will be able to convey this info to the members..it makes the thread more interesting... It still will be great if members would ask questions in regards to procedures involved when building a rifle ...keep in mind..this is a build from a person who do not have the skills or capabilities a professional gunsmith like Danie Joubert and other qualified gunsmiths has...or a talented highly qualified, much experienced Johan Greyling has.
    You could have fooled alot of us Gert. It looks like you are a pro and know exactly what you are doing.
    Most of us can only dream of doing what you do

User

BBT, thank you for the kind reply, it is much appreciated...I think what makes it possible to be able to do these projects are my access to the gun smith shop...I am in an environment where I am able to learn from another person...this privilege ensure that I am set up for success...with a great friend and mentor like Johan Greyling I am able to accomplish projects not possible for a person who do not have such access...this is what makes the difference...

User

Got hold of a African Outfitter magazine, the January /February 2016 this week ...noticed an article in regards to the Weaver scope I bought..article was written by Johan Van Wyk...he did a review on this scope ...all excellent remarks, opinions towards the Weaver scope...he pointed out that this Weaver scope I bought will retail for R11 000 here in South Africa..it seems I bought a good scope and did not pay a lot of money for it ..
    This scope is a Grand Slam 4-16 x 44...same type of scope as mine...I think it will work great on the 8x68S rifle..

User

Update: Members, I just returned from OR Tambo airport where I got the 8x68S barrel and Weaver Grand Slam telescope...the barrel really looks great, magnum sportster profile, quite heavy , crown already cut and chambered short a 0.002" of an inch..the reamer received as well..will ream it tomorrow....
    I am impressed with the looks/feel /clear glass of the Weaver Grand Slam scope, the 4-12 x 50 Plex for sure is really clear..it adjust just great as well...I really think this 8x68S /Weaver rifle scope will be a great hunting combination ..this rifle I really am going to enjoy very much... Will upload photos ..
    Weaver Grand Slam:

User

Going to be an awesome gun

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Going to be an awesome gun

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I hope so, it seems the 8x68S barrel is only 26" inches long..I would have prefer 28"..I think I still will get good accuracy and muzzle velocity...it will be a great classic hunting rifle ..the Weaver scope impress me..it really look like a great designed scope...

Banned

Question Re: 8x68 S Owners opinions are welcome

This is the bit that fascinates me

Update: Members, I just returned from OR Tambo airport where I got the 8x68S barrel

HOW does one do this ?

Can anyone go to OR and -- "pick up a barre"l ?

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast