Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    User

Default Re: Associations and the Draft Amendment Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Palos View Post
    Jacko & Co

Adri was Vice-Chair of CHASA a good 5 years back. She then left to take up a full time CEO position at the Professional Hunters (PHASA) and yes, they did submit comments on the bill.

I was elected to CHASA Vice-chair after Adri's departure, from whence I went on, in the footsteps of Prof Pieter van Niekerk, to Chairman. And YES, we too did submit. Our submission was largely drafted by Martin Hood, who is currently (amongst other good things) CHASA's spokesman on firearm matters and legal advisor to our firearms issues portfolio.

CHASA has 23 INDEPENDANT hunting & shooting associations making up the full confederation, and to my knowledge, all but one (CTSASA) have relied on the main CHASA submission as their contribution. CTSASA had specific concerns relating to the clay shooting disciplines so rightly submitted their own document (also largely drafted by Martin)

This bill has a long way yet to go, and I would be incredibly surprised to see it become law in a state anywhere near its present version. But we will all need to keep our fingers on the pulse of the process.

There is a renewed vigour and a somewhat more "mature" approach amongst quite a broad representative collection of associations & NGOs right now (of which SADPA is one and is very involved) so I would not stress too much if your particular home base did not specifically submit now. Keep them honest & involved by all means, but do not underestimate the efforts going on behind the scenes. Now is the time to grow our various bases, and support at whatever level you can. Even the dealers have a breath of fresh air with Nadine Prior (of Nicolas Yale) and Stefano Pillar (of Blu Logistics) driving their cause....
    Thanks for the clarification and apologies for my slipup.

I do have to add that I hold CHASA-affiliated dedicated hunter status. So thanks for the good work, Stephen.

Paul help me with this - submissions made end November will be considered or won't be considered?
    As this is a new proposed bill am I correct - there was none of that only 2 semi auto bullship in the proposed amendments in November!

ERSC submitted on the rough draft ammendments. We have also been involved with the Summit and the Sport Shooting Forum, as many have here.

To our members, we have an open door policy, so they are free to check up on us as to what we are doing for them and for Sport Shooting as a collective at anytime, we have personal relationships with our members.

I dont feel the need though to advertise it on Gunsite when we do or dont do something. (nor do I have that facility in place with Admin)

As Paul mentioned above, if the shooting associations that are involved arent participating to everyones "standards" then please feel free to dock us, or step up.

Sorry, but theres far too much "whip snapping" and demands going on.

User

I have not made the time to follow these threads, so I don't know if this has already been addressed, but re-reading the comments submitted by the NSA in response to the proposed amendments got me thinking.

I noticed quite some time ago that there are a herd of documents on the SAPS site where I originally went to download the FCA. I think I may have mentioned these docs in a thread before, but either didn't get an answer or I have forgotten as age takes its toll. The site index at that time (Oct 2013 - see URL in the image) looked as follows :

I have always been utterly confused by what the hell all those documents are in terms of which are the latest, which ones are actually in effect and which ones do not apply as they are still in Bill form, etc. Clearly one can see the MAIN document, which is the FCA, Act 60 of 2000 is there, but I presume amendments that have been passed into law are applied incrementally to that original act, so the laws that are in effect become a combination of the original Act 60 PLUS any amendments/additions that have been promulgated.

So, on to my question : Dr Herman Els of the NSA submitted that organisation's document in response to the proposed amendments. Right at the beginning of the document, he draws attention to the fact that there are a whole lot of proposed amendments that are ALREADY PENDING but have not been promulgated into law. Specifically he says (and I quote without having consulted him, but since it is in the public domain here) :

Your attention is drawn to the fact that the Regulations for the Amendment Act, 2006 (Act 28
    of 2006) have as yet, not been published in full. Except for some Regulations for selected
    Sections made effective by Proclamation 77 as printed in Government Gazette 33871, dated
    17 December 2010. Therefore there remains uncertainty as to why there are new extensive
    amendments proposed here, while important amendments to the FCA already promulgated in
    2006, have not yet been implemented through publication of the required Regulations.

This confusion deepens as some of the amendments of the Amendment Act, Act 28 of 2006,
    are again amended by the proposed amendments contained in this proposed 2015
    Amendment Bill (i.e. the proposed amendments to Section 10).
    So, can anyone tell me if this issue was raised at the recent parliamentary session, has it been explained elsewhere or is it still an outstanding matter and in fact really needs to be addressed by the lawmakers BEFORE they fok-voort with any other proposed amendments as per the original subject of this thread ?

User

I know NAACCSA made a submission on behalf of all collectors. Some of their members may also have made independent submissions.

User

Maybe it's just me but once again I feel this matter is not getting the attention it deserves and I implore every member of the forum to get on board with this!
    It's the duty of every FA owner (especially those on this forum) to get involved here and to show their support in some form or another.

Let's all try to assist Paul and the team in any way possible.
    If we can't be there in person let's help with a donation/contribution no matter how small - The banking details for donations is on the GOSA facebook page.

Can I ask the Admins to perhaps make this a sticky or high importance thread?

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Thanks PK. The situation seems to be as such: Though our presence and performance at the Firearms Summit (and our very active engagement with the SAPS and the Police Ministry since) we seem to have shifted the implementation programme for the amendments back by some months.

If you think about how other amendments were enacted in the recent past there was never ever this protracted and intense public participation. They were published for comment and then gazetted, end of story. As it stands we may only see ANY amendments at all some months down the road... and the contents thereof are not at all certain.

Both GOSA and SsF (along with some others) will be down in Parliament from next week to represent YOUR interests, but we need your financial support. Please visit our page here or on Facebook and do what is necessary.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Thanks PK. The situation seems to be as such: Though our presence and performance at the Firearms Summit (and our very active engagement with the SAPS and the Police Ministry since) we seem to have shifted the implementation programme for the amendments back by some months.

If you think about how other amendments were enacted in the recent past there was never ever this protracted and intense public participation. They were published for comment and then gazetted, end of story. As it stands we may only see ANY amendments at all some months down the road... and the contents thereof are not at all certain.

Both GOSA and SsF (along with some others) will be down in Parliament from next week to represent YOUR interests, but we need your financial support. Please visit our page here or on Facebook and do what is necessary.
    Thanks again for all the hard work Paul and the rest off "your" team.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7