Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: You've been Made (Images)

The legal requirements to keep it covered aside, I think open carrying in public area draws unwanted attention. I think it is a coin flip as to whether it will deter a criminal or not. But this is how I see it - A criminal who is willing to step to the level of violence where a firearm is required to deter him, may not necessarily be scared by the mere sight of a gun. There are no guarantees. And if open carrying does not deter the opportunistic attacker, the open carrier is immediately at a disadvantage, having lost the element of surprise.

I'm a gun guy, so I guess an open carried firearm is more apparent to me than most, but that doesn't mean the average person doesn't notice. In all the cases I've seen someone open carrying, it was rarely done with a holster that offered active retention - and recently as mentioned it was done with no holster at all. I have the impression that many guys open carry because it serves as an ego booster or talisman to them. I may be wrong in having this impression, but that is how I perceive it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by MFouche94 View Post
    I'm a gun guy, so I guess an open carried firearm is more apparent to me than most, but that doesn't mean the average person doesn't notice. In all the cases I've seen someone open carrying, it was rarely done with a holster that offered active retention - and recently as mentioned it was done with no holster at all. I have the impression that many guys open carry because it serves as an ego booster or talisman to them. I may be wrong in having this impression, but that is how I perceive it.
    I agree, around here I get the feeling some of them do think it is a talisman or they hark back to 1980's thinking it gives them supremacy. Just like the other stats "4x more likely" etc there is no accurate source and no incentive to keep it. There was a video of the SAPS constable who got smacked on the head with a hammer for his firearm - enough evidence for me.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    I would definitely not carry open in a city environment, simply because of the unknowns, too much close proximity to unknowns. But that in itself is a problem, open carry or not, so I do the logical thing, I avoid bigger cities and crowded places all together.

On a farm, I doubt there is a farm worker out there that doesn’t know the status of his employer, nor people gathering info on possible victims, and that in itself makes the carry position irrelevant, since hitting someone over the head when he is concealed carrying or open makes no difference. The thing is we dress around our firearms, and people need two hands to draw, one to lift and the other to draw. One common feature in rural skirmishes is the fact that you often read about physical fights before any shooting takes place. This I believe is but the result of being ambushed, not being ready for an attack. But still, is it not easier drawing during a physical altercation with one hand rather than both?

As said I don’t know the answers, merely wondering if the truth is properly reflected by the opinions given here, or whether that being said is just something being repeated.

I do have one personal opinion on the matter, and unfortunately that comes from conversations with people that open carry, I think despite their carry method the worrying factor should rather be if they are capable with their weapons in the first place, because many of them shows a severe lack of knowledge on the subject to start with.
    Even a concealed gun can be drawn with one hand, just takes training and practice

In a physical tussle you need to be dealing with that issue before you go to the gun anyway. Introducing a gun into a middle of a ruck you aren't in control of is a recipe for being disarmed. Once again a training issue that far too many gun guys don't want to do because they think their gun is a magic talisman that will deal with all problems.

If you're a target of opportunity he's not going to know if you have a properly concealed gun , which means hes more likely to deal with you like you aren't armed than if your gun is visible.

Even if they are targeting you , unless its for an assassination, there no good reason for them to know your armed if you're properly concealed.

The problem with cities is that no matter how alert; you won't see them coming. You might see the one. In SA it is a pack from different directions. Usually only initiated within a meter or less.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    The problem with cities is that no matter how alert; you won't see them coming. You might see the one. In SA it is a pack from different directions. Usually only initiated within a meter or less.
    Anything that can be taken will be taken and it doesn't have to be the gun they are focused on. In many areas in RSA just being present in a particular areas at the wrong time will result in you being the target.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MFouche94 View Post
    The legal requirements to keep it covered aside, I think open carrying in public area draws unwanted attention. I think it is a coin flip as to whether it will deter a criminal or not. But this is how I see it - A criminal who is willing to step to the level of violence where a firearm is required to deter him, may not necessarily be scared by the mere sight of a gun. There are no guarantees. And if open carrying does not deter the opportunistic attacker, the open carrier is immediately at a disadvantage, having lost the element of surprise.

I 100% agree with that, that's my perception also. I believe when your Firearm is visible it does draw attention. I worked with this gentleman mentioned in this news article, he personally told me he stopped at the shops after work with his Armed Reaction uniform still on and had a his Firearm on him OWB holster but with his jacket over it concealed, however they made him followed him home and shot him in his driveway from a distance, even after he surrendered. I really believe that when you carry, you should make a HUGE effort to completely conceal the Firearm and it should be near impossible to see that you have a Firearm on your person.
    https://krugersdorpnews.co.za/261399...d-to-recovery/

User

You cant even braai these Chops!!

The oke on the right owes me points thats how low he scored on situational awareness, he didnt even look behind him once, then went and got ito some security bakkie and left...

The guy on the left gets a zero out of 10, they didnt even notice me take the picture....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Just to add the guy on the left did not get in to a security car and was not with the choppie on the right....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Love the Fobus!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Hey, A Fobus is light-years ahead of El Paso....

Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast