Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: New Zealand Firearms regulations

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Hi zakiwi,

What do you mean with its obviously liveable? You mentioned you went to NZ 10 years ago, would you say that you are living more comfortable than you were in SA "money-wise" or is it that everything is relevantly more affordable on the average middle class salary there than it is in SA?

I am just curious as I am still young and finishing my postgraduate-studies later this year. I am contemplating about moving abroad for a year or 2 or even indefinitely in a few years time (I however still need 2 years of working experience, then I am basically "waxed" for the skilled labour shortage).

Thanks for the input, have a lekker morning.

(sorry for the hijack OP)
    I think I'm better off. The dificulty is that you just can't compare apples with apples ... Anything thats labour intensive will be far more expensive here than in South Africa ... That makes eating out expensive here ... The guy flipping the hamburgers in SA is probably getting a couple grand (R) a month and the guy flipping hamburgers here is probably getting a couple of grand ($) ... Thats a factor of 10 on your labour component ... Kak for the guy buying the hamburger, but good for the guy flipping them ... In the end ... This is a country where the middle class makes up 90-95% of population ... There are a few that are poor and a few that are rich, but most of us are Joe Average, and thats great because things work well that way.

It's probably relatively expensive to live here compared to SA, but the flip side is that people here probably earn relatively more ... Especially at 10 to 1 ... A school teacher here earns an average of $60k-$70k depending on experience ... Thats probably double what a comparibly expereiced school teacher in SA will earn ... That sad the school teacher's cost of living will probably be more, but their tax will be significantly less than what the South African teacher will pay ... It all eavens out in the end.

I work a lot less here, have a lot less stress here (in keeping ahead) and the lifestyle is awesome.

User

Other thing to factor in is the things you don't need to pay for here.

We pay roughly the same tax as in SA, the difference is that 95% of the population pay tax, so it goes a lot further!

First the most obvious, you don't need all the security that you do in SA, no fences, alarms, armed response, 24hr monitoring, vehicle tracking etc. You don't need medical aid, wehave it just in case but even then it is cheap, for the 2 of us it is $85 per month for hospital plan, just in case we need a transplant or something so we don't have to go on the waiting list.

Having kids is free, the only expence we had was kitting out the kids room, all care, hospital, maternity cover is free and the kid gets free medical until it is 14 and free dental to 18.

Women get paid $600 a week for 16 weeks when they have a baby for maternity leave, although it is not quite what you earn at a high paying job it is a huge help.

There is more but I think you get the point that a lot of the expenses you have in SA don't exist here.

This means you have a lot left over from your pay packet.

I think the only people that will find themselves living to a lower standard are those that are right in the Director/MD positions in SA, similar positions here will earn you the same money but it doesn't go as far.

Lower level employees to mid/upper management will earn relatively more here than there, for example I was a Key Account Manager at the big brewery in SA :) I am a position lower in NZ but earm 4.5 times more than I did there! My wife earns 9 times more than she did in SA and she managed a whole shopping centre!

Oh, and I only work about 25-30 hours a week! The lifestyle is awesome as zakiwi said!

User

Tell me straight, what makes it difficult? What downsides are there? Do you cope with the weather being used to sunny skies in SA? (Funny question I know but I have a cousin now in Oz who struggled dealing with overcast skies. Lack of sun makes some South Africans depressed). How many people adapt well and how many struggle?

User

Sounds too good to be true. Pity there are so many New Zealand'ers there.

User

Quote Originally Posted by LoopSoosStroop View Post
    Actually one more reason to consider NZ. At least there are fewer Aussies there. I find NZers much much nicer.

We are also looking at moving on. It's a big decision to make. Couldn't live in NZ though. All very difficult choices to make.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    Tell me straight, what makes it difficult? What downsides are there? Do you cope with the weather being used to sunny skies in SA? (Funny question I know but I have a cousin now in Oz who struggled dealing with overcast skies. Lack of sun makes some South Africans depressed). How many people adapt well and how many struggle?
    Don't know! We haven't battled with anything really, i think the biggest thing most SAs battle (the ones that do) with is that they want it to be SA, which it never will be.
    You need to learn to clean your own house and do your own laundry, you have to do your own gardening.

I think you may have the wrong idea about the climate, think Cape Town climate for Auckland and up, yes our winters are wet, you do get some really good, clear, crisp spells though, but our Summers are magnificent. And some of the best fishing and hunting in the world, oh, and that is free too haha! NZ definately does not have the grey UK climate.

Honestly though i think the biggest problem for SAs is integration, a lot try to just live in their own little south african community as they do in SA, kind of like the Chinese do elsewhere by making Chinatowns. It drives the Kiwis mad with frustration that people jump through all the hoops to get in and then don't integrate.

There is nothing wrong with New Zealanders, they are great, down to earth people most of them, obviously there are the exceptions but that is true of South Africans too.

I'm not trying to sell it to anyone, merely answering the questions asked.

User

Quote Originally Posted by LoopSoosStroop View Post
    No car guards though!

User

We stayed in NZ for about 4 years. Started off in Auckland -> Hamilton and finally settled in Wellington (Kapiti Coast - Paraparaumu to be exact)

Its not a easy move. But its worth it, we came back due to family problems. Will go back any day! If you have enough money you can take your entire house with you, but if you dont (like us) you start over, with nothing. All we took was our 20KG bags and thats it. Sold EVERYTHING here and started "fresh". Its not easy, you do miss home, but just make sure when you do, you watch SA news, then you realize what you have. You do miss some of your traditional SA things we missed braai. Even though you can braai, it just doesnt feel the same. Like Spudattack said, you actually have a life there, things are more laid back you have time for A LOT more... you can even have a walk after work, with no EDC, your kids can actually walk to school and take the bus or train. Its just awesome if you look at all the positives!!

Quote Originally Posted by zhattingh View Post
    you can even have a walk after work, with no EDC, your kids can actually walk to school and take the bus or train. Its just awesome if you look at all the positives!!
    Yup. That can be said for almost every civilized country outside SA. Sad state of affairs really.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast