Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default CAA Roni for glock importing into South Africa

Hi folks.
    Not too sure how to really use the forums. So I hope im not overly bothering people with these questions.

I have just passed my competency. I have just submitted my licence application on a Glock 19 gen 4.
    I have a few reasons for choosing to now own a firearm. One being the obvious self defence, the other being the pleasure of shooting and joining up of a club.

I realise we are not in America and the procedure of gun ownership here is complex and drawn out.
    With that in mind, I would like in due course to get trained up, licensed and own several fireams for various reasons.

But right now my focus is just getting that glock home and into the safe (when not in my holster!)
    Id like to own a carbine when I can afford it and can face going through the licencing again. However herein lies my question.

I have seen a bunch of youtube links to the Roni Carbine (No, im not planning in going into battle like Bruce Willis to rid the world of terrorism) but wouldnt mind having a good old fashioned plink at the range with one attached to my glock. In a space that should malfunctions or whatever happen that I am not relying on my firearm at that moment.

Yes...its that whole Tacti-cool shizaait that folks harp on about. But the cost of buying one officially seems ridiculous. Im certainly not going to drop 10k (or whatever) just to own one.....but here is my question.

I have read....(not got confirmation I might add) that the airsoft version. Yes. Airsoft G1 Roni from CAA is exactly the same as the one designed for the real Glock. With that in mind. I can get one in the states and have it sent to my buddy there for under $100

2nd question. Would the post office tune me to sod off if he tried to post it over...Airsoft is hardly a real gun...but who knows what bureaucracy is involved.

I have read on a few other forums and seen a few videos of folks claiming that the Roni Airsoft G1 is exactly the same as the one manufactured for the real steel of the glock. I only want to have some fun on the range. But safety is paramount. Im not keen on typing any further posts with a paintbrush in my mouth whilst i weep over missing fingers.

I feel as im typing this that a barrage of "Just buy a real gun" answers will come my way......if that be the case, I will take the advice given. I do not come from a firearm owning community and I realise that you good folks will have all the answers compared to my hippie friends who may suggest I take up yoga rather than range time.

thanks in advance

User

Default Re: CAA Roni for glock importing into South Africa

The airsoft one is not the same thing sold cheaper. As many people have discovered. Ive seen them break before the first shot fired.

When someone tells you any Airsoft product is the real thing in different packaging , just cheaper, you have identified a bullshitter.

User

There are very few Airsoft parts I would trust on a real steel gun and about 99% of those are on .22LR guns. Anything involving center fire and my hands potentially being in front of the muzzle if something breaks are a no-no.

I also looked at an Airsoft style Roni, just to see how they worked and the price was pretty damn close to the real thing. (On a related note this shop also mentioned using it with a real Glock)

IF you want a Roni, spring for a real one.

If you want a Roni, you actually want a Hera Triari.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Thanks for that.
    Herein lies the problem of this big bad internet...seems a lot of folks have a lot of opinions...(not all correct)
    Im not going to waste time or money with the Roni.

Would you folks on here be able to suggest an affordable range gun that if in some World War 4 situation does arise, that I am not severing digits and wasting my money on....

Maybe a shotgun first.... Just that I have a bit of cash coming in from my house sale soon and frankly I may never have a bit of spare cash again. I figure I have about 10k for a carbine/ak47/Ar15 and or about 5k for a shotgun...........just so many things out there...and so much info to glean.

hell I nearly settled for buying a Vector pistol before reading these forums...
    sorry if this is time wasting..but opinions here seem to hold a bit of weight.

Banned

Airsoft is rubbish for real weapons - in my experience it's either too flimsy or too heavy. The only airsoft components that I've used that worked was the most basic components e.g. scope rings and picatinny rails. Also my Vegas odds say that the lunchbox for your glock's going to be ITAR classified, so it's going to be a pain to get out of the States.

Personally I'd look locally - I know AFTA had one or two of those in stock that they wanted to get rid of (cancelled order), though it was a while back. You'd be surprized as the hidden gems you'll find if you just phone around a bit.

Buy a handgun in a service calibre for self defence.

Then, buy another handgun in a service calibre for sport.

Then think about toy guns.

Edit to add: Airsoft parts on real guns are a leading cause of cancer and AIDS.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

scuse my ignorance..but who is AFTA....is that a person or a company?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hellpants View Post
    Thanks for that.
    Herein lies the problem of this big bad internet...seems a lot of folks have a lot of opinions...(not all correct)
    Im not going to waste time or money with the Roni.

Would you folks on here be able to suggest an affordable range gun that if in some World War 4 situation does arise, that I am not severing digits and wasting my money on....

Maybe a shotgun first.... Just that I have a bit of cash coming in from my house sale soon and frankly I may never have a bit of spare cash again. I figure I have about 10k for a carbine/ak47/Ar15 and or about 5k for a shotgun...........just so many things out there...and so much info to glean.

hell I nearly settled for buying a Vector pistol before reading these forums...
    sorry if this is time wasting..but opinions here seem to hold a bit of weight.
    Ok firstly, the prior Girly Gun Day we had vindicated the Vektor CP1 quite thoroughly :D

Secondly your timing's pretty good - there's been a huge batch of Norinco AKs that came through, at least two shops are selling them for just under R6000. Damn good deal. Bought one myself.
    Nice thing is that if you throw in a FAB defense kit - http://www.zahal.org/products/ak-47-..._parent=218287 - you have a high quality tacticool rifle for half the price of an AR or LM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hellpants View Post
    scuse my ignorance..but who is AFTA....is that a person or a company?
    It's a gun shop in Cresta - the owner's name is Chris van den Bergh. Their number is 011 782 1217 if I recall correctly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast